Is that a boat I see?

The light-hearted side of life
blythburgh

Is that a boat I see?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Aug 08 2020 10:07am

Not if you are a Govt. Minister, it is a maritime asset.

Sometimes a different word is better than the one in usual use but at times it is best to call a spade a spade.

The berk on the radio this morning said "maritime asset" and added insult to injury by explaining what he was talking about.
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Re: Is that a boat I see?

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Aug 08 2020 6:55pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Aug 08 2020 10:07am

Sometimes a different word is better than the one in usual use but at times it is best to call a spade a spade.

The berk on the radio this morning said "maritime asset" and added insult to injury by explaining what he was talking about.
He wanted to be sure everyone understood.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Aug 08 2020 7:41pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sat Aug 08 2020 6:55pm
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Aug 08 2020 10:07am

He wanted to be sure everyone understood.
So, if a Man explaining the obvious to a Woman is Mansplaining... what is that? Pillocksplaining?
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Aug 08 2020 9:23pm

maybe the poor man was not sure of the difference between a boat or a ship or thought as he was on Radio 4 he had to use bigger or less obvious words. But explain what he meant in case any ignoramuses had tuned in by mistake
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Aug 09 2020 10:02am

Perhaps the industry terminology is 'maritime asset' for a sea-based item, to differentiate from land-based assets. And he used the jargon, then realised not everyone is familiar with it so explained.

We have a similar situation in my company. We rent vehicles, including articulated trailers. But when we say 'vehicle' we mean only units with an engine - not the detachable trailer. It can be confusing to anyone outside who uses the word 'vehicle' more freely.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 10 2020 9:46am

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Aug 09 2020 10:02am
Perhaps the industry terminology is 'maritime asset' for a sea-based item, to differentiate from land-based assets. And he used the jargon, then realised not everyone is familiar with it so explained.

We have a similar situation in my company. We rent vehicles, including articulated trailers. But when we say 'vehicle' we mean only units with an engine - not the detachable trailer. It can be confusing to anyone outside who uses the word 'vehicle' more freely.
I could understand if he was from the Ministry of Defence but he was Education.