What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Post by macliam » Wed Mar 11 2020 3:50pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Mar 11 2020 2:26pm
macliam wrote:
Wed Mar 11 2020 12:18pm
Varadkar was asked about projections that the virus could impact 50-60% of the population, according to estimates based on what had been learned from other countries.
I've heard this 60% figure a couple of times this week. Where does it come from?

Currently, Italy is leading the field with 0.02% of the population infected.
But people are predicting up to 60%?
There are a lot of numbers being bandied about without explanation - which is one of the reasons I thought Varadkar's speech - and the extrapolation for UK figures - was worth seeing. The best visual representation I've seen of the state of play worldwide is HERE - and this too talks about a penetration of up to 60% of the population (although in this case a range of 40-60% as opposed to Leo's 50-60%).

I also found THIS which seems to suggest that 40-60% is not COVID-19 specific, but a rule-of-thumb for the infection rate in an uncontrolled pandemic. - and explains the scrabble to "contain" it.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Mar 12 2020 8:51am

OK we have better disease control in this country not to mention better drugs etc.

But in 1919 "Spanish Flu" killed more people than died in WW!.

So we are wise to be careful and our Govt. is wise to be prepared
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Mar 12 2020 1:22pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Mar 12 2020 8:51am
OK we have better disease control in this country not to mention better drugs etc.

But in 1919 "Spanish Flu" killed more people than died in WW!.

So we are wise to be careful and our Govt. is wise to be prepared
As am I, AAAlphaThunder, to be prepared.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 12 2020 3:10pm

Reduction in the rate of infection is down to two factors - reduction in contact with the virus (hence no mass meetings) and reduction in infection by the virus (hence hand washing).

The impact of these two simple factors is stark - according to the epidemialogical models, an unchecked spread over 2 months would infect 100,000,000 people. Reducing contact and post-contact infection could cut this to 330,000 over the same period. This has 2 advantages - the latter figure is easier to treat and it buys us time to prove a vaccine and/or other treatment. :ugeek:

Yet I've seen people saying "most people will only get mildly sick" - which is true..... but they will still be vectors for transmission..... and I've no wish to be the cause of my neighbour's death. Perhaps a little less selfishness and a little more altruism. eh? :eh:

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Mar 12 2020 3:53pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Mar 12 2020 3:10pm
Reduction in the rate of infection is down to two factors - reduction in contact with the virus (hence no mass meetings) and reduction in infection by the virus (hence hand washing).

The impact of these two simple factors is stark - according to the epidemialogical models, an unchecked spread over 2 months would infect 100,000,000 people. Reducing contact and post-contact infection could cut this to 330,000 over the same period. This has 2 advantages - the latter figure is easier to treat and it buys us time to prove a vaccine and/or other treatment. :ugeek:

Yet I've seen people saying "most people will only get mildly sick" - which is true..... but they will still be vectors for transmission..... and I've no wish to be the cause of my neighbour's death. Perhaps a little less selfishness and a little more altruism. eh? :eh:
Altruism - yes that's me.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 12 2020 10:25pm

I started stockpiling the other day... I went into Boots and I asked the representative for help "Miss, I wonder if you can help me?" Having got her attention I continued "I was wondering what you have got for Corona Virus!?!" She replied "Ammonia Cleaner", "Oh!" I said "Sorry I thought you were a member of staff!"

:lol:

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Mar 12 2020 10:52pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Mar 12 2020 10:25pm
I started stockpiling the other day... I went into Boots and I asked the representative for help "Miss, I wonder if you can help me?" Having got her attention I continued "I was wondering what you have got for Corona Virus!?!" She replied "Ammonia Cleaner", "Oh!" I said "Sorry I thought you were a member of staff!"

Duplicate viewtopic.php?f=19&t=88000&start=160

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 12 2020 11:02pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Mar 12 2020 10:52pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Mar 12 2020 10:25pm

Duplicate viewtopic.php?f=19&t=88000&start=160
Must be good enough to do the rounds and be told twice! ;)

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Mar 13 2020 9:07pm

FFS have IQs dropped because of Brexit?
As I post this , you cvan count the people who have died in this country from Corana on the fingers of one hand, if you're from Norfolk.
All of those, except one, had underlying health issues, and it's not even clear that the Virus killed them,
A bit like describing someones death from a pub fire as a 'Drinking problem.'
The only person death that was Definetly cause by the virus was Jack Wigan, He had he face mask pull up to far and did see the bus that knocked him over

Lets start wirtth a few basics, note I don't have any medical training, like EVERYONE else on this thread but I do have a First aid certificate and a Cubs badge for tying a tourniquet I have also been shown how to make a Tracheostomy using a pen top :shock:

1. IT'S a respiratoral VIRUS" You won't avoid getting it by washiung your hands. If you get it. you won't be incapable of passing it because you wash your hands
It wont give you the runs so why panic buy toilet paper?
What the good in closing school? children aren't dying from it. and whose going to look afte the children when they're off? Their parents, doctor, nurse toilet roll makers
How that going to help?
Stop panic buying, You should wash your hansds anyway and alsway and GET A f GRIP
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 13 2020 10:05pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2020 9:07pm
FFS have IQs dropped because of Brexit?
As I post this , you cvan count the people who have died in this country from Corana on the fingers of one hand, if you're from Norfolk.
All of those, except one, had underlying health issues, and it's not even clear that the Virus killed them,
A bit like describing someones death from a pub fire as a 'Drinking problem.'
The only person death that was Definetly cause by the virus was Jack Wigan, He had he face mask pull up to far and did see the bus that knocked him over

Lets start wirtth a few basics, note I don't have any medical training, like EVERYONE else on this thread but I do have a First aid certificate and a Cubs badge for tying a tourniquet I have also been shown how to make a Tracheostomy using a pen top :shock:

1. IT'S a respiratoral VIRUS" You won't avoid getting it by washiung your hands. If you get it. you won't be incapable of passing it because you wash your hands
It wont give you the runs so why panic buy toilet paper?
What the good in closing school? children aren't dying from it. and whose going to look afte the children when they're off? Their parents, doctor, nurse toilet roll makers
How that going to help?
Stop panic buying, You should wash your hansds anyway and alsway and GET A f GRIP
Sorry kev, it's not a respiratoral VIRUS- your "advice" is incorrect.

It's spread by airborne liquid - and the quickest method of infection is actually through the eyes and soft tissue - hence the "wash your hands" and "Don't touch you face" advice. Also, this is why facemasks alone are next to useless to avoid infection, but a really good idea for anyone who already has the virus.

The reason for closing schools and public gatherings is to SLOW, not stop, infection - this is because epidemiological statistical models show an unchecked epidemic would mean infection of 100,000,000 in two months, as opposed to 333,000 if we do our best to avoid contact with infection and/or avoid self-infection via basic hygiene. This is important because huge numbers will overwhelm facilities, leading to an increased mortality rate - but also, if we delay the increase, it allows more time to roll out counter measures.

I do however agree that we should not panic and get a grip

(No "medical" qualifications either, but BSc Psych, with physiology & biochemistry and stats.)
Last edited by macliam on Fri Mar 13 2020 10:21pm, edited 1 time in total.