Bye Bye Huawei

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
BeautifulSunshine

Bye Bye Huawei

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Jul 14 2020 2:18pm

Huawei 5G kit must be removed from UK by 2027

The UK's mobile providers are being banned from buying new Huawei 5G equipment after 31 December, and they must also remove all the Chinese firm's 5G kit from their networks by 2027.

Digital Secretary Oliver Dowden told the House of Commons of the decision.

It follows sanctions imposed by Washington, which claims the firm poses a national security threat - something Huawei denies.

Mr Dowden said the move would delay the country's 5G rollout by a year.

He added that the cumulative cost of this, and earlier restrictions announced against Huawei earlier in the year, would be up to £2bn.

"This has not been an easy decision, but it is the right one for the UK telecoms networks, for our national security and our economy, both now and indeed in the long run," he said.

Because the US sanctions only affect future equipment, the government does not believe there is a security justification for removing 2G, 3G and 4G equipment supplied by Huawei.

Huawei said the move was: "bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone" and threatened to "move Britain into the digital slow lane, push up bills and deepen the digital divide".
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53403793

I fear we will be at a technological disadvantage.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Sarah

Re: Bye Bye Huawei

Post by Sarah » Tue Jul 14 2020 2:55pm

It's yet more levelling down, a speciality of this government!

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jul 14 2020 4:36pm

As I've posted before, I first worked with Huawei before they had any base in the UK.... and they were very different to other suppliers. Not because they were Chinese, but because they had good engineers and evolved products quickly to meet requirements, rather than trying to sell on thes ame old tat in a new box, like many others.

The only telecoms manufacturer proven to have a backdoor is Cisco, with the NSA using it. Whereas there has been no proof of any such issue with Huawei kit.... and believe me, our security guys will have been all over it with a nit comb.

What we have here is proof of the power of USA companies to strangle the competition, using dirty tricks if necessary. Riding on the current anti-China sentiment, their backers in the US government have just claimed security issues, with no proof, and forced other governments to comply with their wishes. Maybe it's not Chinese products we should be reducing, but American!!

This government has proven yet again that backbone and competence are in short supply. If we rely on Ericsson for our equipment, we will have a second-best network, delivered late and at a cost which is a multiple of the original quote. Oddly, that seems to be the kind of deal Boris and co like!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Jul 16 2020 11:35am

That's really bad news for the Geordies
Politically incorrect since 69