How much do the Tories really believe in freedom of choice?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

How much do the Tories really believe in freedom of choice?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Nov 29 2020 9:25am

Tory MP's are revolting over the tiers to replace the lockdown saying by making the rules mandatory they are taking away people's freedom of choice.

I have not heard of any Tory MP complaining that freedom of choice is going to be removed from all pensioners and others on benefits.

The Tory Govt. has slipped out with no publicity that next year all pensions and benefits will have to be paid into a bank account. Some of us still prefer to get them from the Post Office. Not all of us even have a bank account. I know this because my local PO closed suddenly and it looks unless some other shop takes it over my area will not have a PO within easy walking distance. And people have posted on the local FB page how much they miss it, do not want pension paid into back account and at least one has posted they do not have nor want a bank account.

So the cry is "they are taking away our freedom of choice" only when it suits the Tory MP's who thinks they will lose votes over the announcement.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Re: How much do the Tories really believe in freedom of choice?

Post by pabenny » Sun Nov 29 2020 12:44pm

Why politicise this by blaming it on the Tories?

Every party, whether in government or opposition declares itself to be against government waste and for improving efficiency. Paying benefits in cash is costly for the taxpayer, so this is a right and proper move to save costs. Some people may have to change their habits as a result.

And are you sure of your 'facts'?

It must around 20 years since cash payment of pensions and other benefits stopped and payments had to be into bank account. The DWP and Post Office worked together to offer post office card accounts to receive their pensions. They could then use their card at the counter to draw it out in cash.

Account holders are now being encouraged to have their pensions etc paid to a regular bank account. The information on the PO website does not say that this is mandatory, although perhaps it is.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Nov 29 2020 2:02pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Nov 29 2020 9:25am

The Tory Govt. has slipped out with no publicity that next year all pensions and benefits will have to be paid into a bank account. Some of us still prefer to get them from the Post Office. Not all of us even have a bank account. I know this because my local PO closed suddenly and it looks unless some other shop takes it over my area will not have a PO within easy walking distance.
And how , exactly would you get your pension in cash if the local PO is closed?
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Nov 30 2020 8:01am

We have ours paid into the bank. My friend changed to the bank a few months back as the Co-op moved into a new bigger store but decided they did not want the P.O. in the new shop. And as he said in a few months he would no longer have a choice of where to get his money.

And I blame the Tories for taking away people's choice. They keep saying they believe in freedom of choice which is why so many are considering revolting against the Govt. plans to have mandatory tiers in England to combat Covid
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Nov 30 2020 9:30am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Nov 30 2020 8:01am
And I blame the Tories for taking away people's choice.
Again, why politicise this?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Dec 01 2020 8:07am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Nov 30 2020 9:30am
blythburgh wrote:
Mon Nov 30 2020 8:01am
And I blame the Tories for taking away people's choice.
Again, why politicise this?
Because they are screaming the govt. has taken away people's choice by making covid rules a must do not a should do. And the Tories are making people have to benefits and pensions paid into the bank and not collected from the Post Office.

And I be just as angry with the LibDems if they were behind it. Remember my howls of rage when our former Leader decided that the line for the last election was to scrap Brexit.

Taking away people's freedom of choice is undemocratic.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Dec 01 2020 11:22am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Dec 01 2020 8:07am
..the Tories are making people have to benefits and pensions paid into the bank and not collected from the Post Office...
They're not.
pabenny wrote:
Sun Nov 29 2020 12:44pm
It must around 20 years since cash payment of pensions and other benefits stopped and payments had to be into bank account. The DWP and Post Office worked together to offer post office card accounts for payment of pensions. Recipients could then use their card at the counter to draw it out in cash if they chose.

Account holders are now being encouraged to have their pensions etc paid to a regular bank account...
(edited for clarity)
This is not a party issue. But by blaming one party, you're turning it into the divisive nonsense that pervades US politics.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Dec 02 2020 6:39am

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pen ... ounts.html

And I can assure you my friend got a letter telling him from 2021 he could no longer get his pension from the Post Office