Hartypool

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Hartypool

Post by Chadwick » Fri May 14 2021 6:23pm

gle1975 wrote:
Thu May 13 2021 9:27am
It seems strange now that after 1992 Labour thought they could not win a general election and planned to work closely with the Lib Dems. Then people got sick of the conservatives, there was a lot of tactical voting in 1997 and Labour got a giant majority. Maybe it will happen again - especially the tactical voting.
In 1997 Labour also had a candidate that was acceptable to many centre/moderate Conservative voters. And whilst not in disarray, the Tories were divided over Europe and suffering from sleaze scandals. Blair was undoubtedly more media-friendly that Major. All that helped tip the balance for Labour's decisive 1997 victory.

Today, whilst we may be sick of the Tories, they have a flamboyant leader who outclasses Starmer in charisma. The Tories are not especially divided, whereas Labour is.
The Tories main failure - Brexit - has been masked by the pandemic and in particular the successful vaccination programme.

Until Labour can unite behind a centrist candidate and capitalise on the failings of Brexit, I think it's unlikely they'll tempt the middle-ground voter. We'd have to be really sick of the Tories, and right now they've got the wind in their vaccination sails.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri May 14 2021 6:33pm

It is not gonna happen but I actually wonder if it is the time for labour to split into two Although it has been tried before. I cant help feeling that it is to broad a party to continue to encompass all it currently embraces. It is currently a party of extremes.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 15 2021 9:24am

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri May 14 2021 6:33pm
It is not gonna happen but I actually wonder if it is the time for labour to split into two Although it has been tried before. I cant help feeling that it is to broad a party to continue to encompass all it currently embraces. It is currently a party of extremes.
same could be said of the Tory party
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 15 2021 9:29am

blythburgh wrote:
Sat May 15 2021 9:24am
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri May 14 2021 6:33pm
same could be said of the Tory party
Very true and i was going to say that , but the extremes are more obvious in Labour at the moment. The Tories for the time being are largely holding their peace. As I said it aint gonna happen.