Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Richard Frost

Re: Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Aug 02 2021 9:37am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Aug 02 2021 9:28am

I just cannot see how it would be to the benefit of any of the British media (in its widest sense) if the BBC joins the rush to get advertising
I doubt that would have any influence in any decisions that would be made.

I don't think that any system is a good system. But I do think the current system is unfair to many. As for loading the Electricity bill to cover the cost. This is already greatly inflated to cover charges for
Environmental & Social Obligation Costs

The cost of supporting various government initiatives through the energy price: 0.94p/kWh or 9.4% of the price

Government ‘green’ initiatives are becoming an ever more influential part of the electricity price and we soon won’t be able to count the number of different costs on the fingers of one hand.
Once all the above is taken into consideration we can therefore conclude that the proceeds from the price of energy you pay is split between:

35.1% going to the generators
29.7% going to the government
22.8% going to the networks, and
12.4% going to the energy supplier
https://www.businessjuice.co.uk/energy- ... ity-price/

No I do not have a solution. Undoubtedly there would be a loss of quality if the beeb was forced to accept advertising and it would be a very different animal. Equally they could cut their cloth a bit there is an incredible amount of wastage & inefficiency in the corporation. They could become a much leaner tighter and efficient organisation given the right management.

Interesting article here https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dependence
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Re: Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 03 2021 9:31am

I think they are starting to cut their cloth differently but could more be done? Sadly it seems to be the most important thing they do that they are cutting. The cutbacks in the news area are what worry me the most.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler