The End Of UK Democracy

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: The End Of UK Democracy

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 07 2022 9:31am

Sarah wrote:
Wed Sep 07 2022 6:29am
Remember the days when we thought "that Govt is attacking the Judges and muzzling them so must be a dodgy Govt."

In those days they were autocratic and undemocratic countries. Now our Govt is attacking and attempting to muzzle Judges.

They should remember Judges do not make the law, merely interpret it. I can remember a Judge saying "I do not agree but the law says I have to say this". Not sure now if it was finding the defendent guilty or the maximum punishment he could hand down. But the Judge on that occasion made it clear he did not agree with the law but had to follow it. And I would say all Judges would agree they follow the law no matter how much they agree or disagree with it.
Thanked by: Sarah
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Sep 07 2022 12:44pm

With a written constitution, both judges and government are bound to uphold it.

On the downside, this "limits" the freedom of judges to make their own decisions and decide independently. However, this "freedom" has been under attack in the UK for years, with mandatory sentences and directed judgements. The first priority of a Judge is to ensure that the constitution is interpreted correctly.

On the upside, any "law" or government action found to be unconstitutional is simply invalid - and governments are bound to seek approval to amend the constitution in order to overcome this bar. In Ireland, this means a referendum.

Johnson would have been unable to prorogue parliament, misuse of government funds would be a criminal offence, decisions regarding ethics and the defence of "suspect" ministers would no longer be the "privilege" of the PM.... etc., etc.

Never mind reining in the judges...... time to codify the constitution NOW!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Nov 09 2022 11:16am

Obviously a lot more has happened since September... yet another Prime Minster selected by almost no-one, etc.

This is a bit new... journalists arrested whilst covering the Just Stop Oil protests:

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/sta ... 2945092609

https://twitter.com/richfelgate/status/ ... 7642243072

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 09 2022 11:50am

Braverman's Brave New World?

Get the Tories out - NOW!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 10 2022 10:47am

macliam wrote:
Wed Nov 09 2022 11:50am
Braverman's Brave New World?

Get the Tories out - NOW!
One of many members of the press that are getting arrested despite showing ID to police. How can we know what is going on in our country if the press cannot cover things like this.

And I have been in contact with the people behind Skratch the Kat which is a collection of containers which are a charity shop. The people behind it donate to local charities etc. About to donate £300 to The Royal British Legion and a Suffolk Military charity. But you will not read about it in the local paper. They take photos and send in a report. Paul says he has been told by other charities that they cannot get their pieces in the paper either. It seems only some people's face fit and are considered worthy of supporting.

When the local media are having to cut back on the amount of journalists they can employ you would think they would bite the hand off to get a piece of good news for the paper. Apparently not these days
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 17 2023 2:33pm

Just 30% of voters say they are aware of new law requiring photo ID at polling stations, meaning millions risk being turned away from polls in May.

Only one-in-ten say they've received info from local authorities about the new requirements.
https://bylinetimes.com/2023/01/16/mill ... oll-shows/

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jan 17 2023 2:42pm

Sarah wrote:
Tue Jan 17 2023 2:33pm
Just 30% of voters say they are aware of new law requiring photo ID at polling stations, meaning millions risk being turned away from polls in May.

Only one-in-ten say they've received info from local authorities about the new requirements.
https://bylinetimes.com/2023/01/16/mill ... oll-shows/
I suspect there will be plenty of info on this around the time of the next elections. It will almost certainly be written onto the poll cards that are sent out.

Having said that a retrograde step IMO. Voter impersonation fraud was/is minimal if it exists at all. Perhaps part of the problem (and I do not support it) is that unlike many other countries we are not required to carry ID Cards.

I think much more voting is suspect because of coercion and this is likely to have increased since the widespread introduction of postal votes. I seem to remember a big scandal around this in E London some few years ago.

A consequence of the UK's right wing Conservative party being true to type.

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 17 2023 3:57pm

I would support the introduction of ID cards.... given that they are like those in EU countries and cost as little. The last "attempt" was ridiculous overkill and a cash-cow for the government - IIRC there was talk of an £85 fee.

ID cards would enable some measure of control over the black economy and reduce the plethora of IDs required day-in, day-out.

For those who oppose ID cards, I'd like to know if they also oppose Passports, Drivers Licenses, Bank cards, credit cards, the NI number and NHS number and the many many other IDs that we use regularly. What do you think an ID card would hold that is not held already? If these people use Social media, then they have already lost control of their data......

FWIW, SWMBOs Portuguese ID card is the size of a credit card, carries her Photo and signature and also acts as the equivalent of an NI card and NHS card. It costs c.£20 every 5 years, the whole application process (including photo) is done at a local agency and the card is delivered within 21 days. When she required a Passport (as the UK government decided that the ID card she had used for the last 30 years was insufficient) all the relevant data was already on her ID card, so application was simple, relatively cheap and again, the Passport was available in a couple of weeks.

Of course..... Portugal isn't as efficient as the UK, eh?

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 17 2023 4:23pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Jan 17 2023 3:57pm
For those who oppose ID cards, I'd like to know if they also oppose Passports, Drivers Licenses, Bank cards, credit cards, the NI number and NHS number and the many many other IDs that we use regularly.
Nope, however a national mandatory ID card would undoubtedly be introduced here with a false agenda, likely at high public and individual cost, it could be weaponised against minorities, it won't do much to achieve what the advocates claim and it probably won't make any of those existing options redundant. No thanks.
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 17 2023 6:30pm

Well, of course, there's no way that any of the other forms of identification don't do the same, is there? Because, of course, if you have no ID card the Police can't tell you're black, or mistake Patel for a Cornish name...... How does a summary piece of plastic make a difference when all the data is already recorded?

I can assure you that, in Portugal,the ID card is invaluable for shortcutting all the identity questions day-by-day, secures bank and credit details and helps to crack down on the black economy and criminality. It also means that you can prove your entitlement to health benefits, etc........ by use of a secure system, common to all citizens.

ID cards aren't the issue, it is the laws around them that can be problematic.... but this goverment is managing to restrict personal liberty without such luxury.....