Am i mean or just moneywise.

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Am i mean or just moneywise.

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jun 09 2023 10:49am

So the bathroom soap container was getting low. Got out the Dove soap from the cupboard and it was obviously pretty empty. So took top off soap container and Dove bottle. Popped a small funnel into soap container and started shaking Dove bottle into it. When the soap flow started to slow I then started hitting the Dove bottle near the top and got even more soap out.

Then I tapped the soap container and funnel up and down until all the Dove had gone into the container.

If you prefer to have a liquid soap and find you cannot get the bottom bits out then you need to put the old bottle away. When you have two bottles get the funnel out and pour one bottle into the other. No soap wasted though it is best to use the same colour soap if you are doing this.

Am I being mean or just averse to wasting money on soap?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: Am i mean or just moneywise.

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jun 09 2023 10:59am

I do the same with most thick liquids. It is about being environmentally friendly as much as penny pinching.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jun 09 2023 2:21pm

I just dilute liquid soap a little when it's nearly empty, then give it a quick shake; this allows more of the soap to be used up. Repeat until no longer worthwhile.
Thanked by: jaytee, blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Jun 09 2023 2:56pm

Foaming liquid soaps are very economical - the foam is a combination of a pump nozzle designed for the purpose and a diluted liquid soap - about 50-50 soap and water. You might have to buy a pricey container (eg Method) to get he foamer pump.

In the same vein, cleaning sprays can be refilled with diluted (own label equivalent) Flash liquid or bleach at a ratio of about 1 detergent to 10 water.

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Sat Jun 10 2023 8:46am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Jun 09 2023 10:49am
So the bathroom soap container was getting low. Got out the Dove soap from the cupboard and it was obviously pretty empty.
You do realise that Dove is not actually soap? We always use a basic soap, usually a baby one, but last year my usual brand was not available and I used some Dove. I came out in an all over rash. On visiting the doctor and telling my tale, I got a shrug and a comment of "you should have known better!"

poland71

Post by poland71 » Sat Jun 10 2023 2:26pm

Agree entirely with your actions. The manufacturer wants you to rush out and buy another 750ml squishy bag to top-up, or heaven forbid, yet another plastic bottle with 500mls inside. It all helps their turn over and bottom line profit.
I do the same with toothpaste tubes: Carefully using a small pair of scissors, cut across the bottom and then fully up one side from bottom to top. Amazing the amount of toothpaste left, especially around the neck. Handy suggestion: If you do this, close the tube as much as possible by putting a weight on it to stop too much air coming into contact with what is left inside. It tends to try and dry out over the 4 to 5 days of "Free toothpaste" usage.
Thanked by: MrsBear, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 12 2023 10:31am

xrppzi wrote:
Sat Jun 10 2023 8:46am
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Jun 09 2023 10:49am
So the bathroom soap container was getting low. Got out the Dove soap from the cupboard and it was obviously pretty empty.
You do realise that Dove is not actually soap? We always use a basic soap, usually a baby one, but last year my usual brand was not available and I used some Dove. I came out in an all over rash. On visiting the doctor and telling my tale, I got a shrug and a comment of "you should have known better!"
I use Faith in Nature and refill the bottle at a health food shop. But DH has sensitive skin and he did not like it hence the Dove which he likes and seems to suit him.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler