How I (and others) feel about sefl service checkouts.

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

How I (and others) feel about sefl service checkouts.

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 06 2023 9:13am

There was not a share button so I have done a copy and paste but I could have written as it is how I feel:
Dear Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Lid, Aldi, Waitrose, Morrisons, and all other stores that have self checkout.
You are heading towards almost exclusively self-checkout now.
The lady checking receipts at the exit was stopping
everyone.
I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, I had already
🛒 filled my cart
🛒 emptied my cart
🛒 scanned the items
🛒refilled my cart
and so I just skipped the exit line and left.
I heard her saying "umm - Excuse me " as I kept walking and raised the receipt above my head, leaving the store.
You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be.
I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.
• If you want me to be a cashier with no training then that's vour problem not mine.
• Keep employing young people and give them job opportunities.
YOU DON'T PAY ME TO SCAN MY OWN SHOPPING.
YOU DON'T GIVE ME STAFF DISCOUNT FOR WORKING FOR YOU.
Signed ....All of us
These are jobs that are needed to have for young and old
………………………
Copied and pasted, because I agree 100%.
SPREAD IT AROUND
Thanked by: emsky
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Re: How I (and others) feel about sefl service checkouts.

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 06 2023 9:16am

Nobody is saying do away with self service checkouts, we just want less of them and more with a person. I once was in a hurry and only a very few things. Of course it said something had gone wrong. I told the assistant how I usually avoid the area as things go wrong so often. She told me that although she works in the area she often gets the "wait for assistance" thing.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Oct 06 2023 10:44am

The only store I've ever been in where receipts are checked at the exit is Costco. And they don't have self-checkouts.

And I've never seen a store where self-checkout is the only option. If you do't like self-checkouts, don't use them. Queue at a staffed till.
Thanked by: Richard Frost

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 06 2023 10:54am

Haven't people got better things to do than behaving performatively rude and entitled to supermarket staff?

Hope they get banned from that store. If they don't like how a store operates, I wish they'd kindly go elsewhere and allow the rest of society to shop in peace.
Thanked by: pabenny

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 06 2023 11:00am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Oct 06 2023 10:44am
The only store I've ever been in where receipts are checked at the exit is Costco.
Some of the major supermarkets have exit gates on the self-checkout and self-scan areas now. These open when customers scan the barcode at the bottom of a receipt. I've seen customers push through them, setting off an alarm, but if they had any patience it's usually easy to wait a few moments and tailgate another customer anyway.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Oct 06 2023 11:14am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Oct 06 2023 10:44am
The only store I've ever been in where receipts are checked at the exit is Costco. And they don't have self-checkouts.

And I've never seen a store where self-checkout is the only option. If you do't like self-checkouts, don't use them. Queue at a staffed till.
Only ever been to a store where receipts were checked on the way out was in Malaysia. Never ever seen it in the UK.

Personally I like and prefer a self checkout. In my Sainsbury's here there is never a queue and I rarely get picked for a rescan.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 06 2023 11:23am

It's always been common at cash-and-carry type stores in the UK like Costco, Makro, Booker, etc.