What's happened to Cineworld?

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

garindan

What's happened to Cineworld?

Post by garindan » Mon Jan 20 2020 10:57pm

Just looking at the secretary's updates showing some of our previous share purchases. Seen Cineworld is now well below 200p. We bought and sold around 260p. Is there an opportunity for us to look into this one again?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

BeautifulSunshine

Re: What's happened to Cineworld?

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Jan 21 2020 6:20am

From the Motley Fool:

Paul Summers | Monday, 25th November, 2019
Debt-ridden
Shares in Cinema chain Cineworld (LSE: CINE) have fallen heavily in recent months and, based on shorting activity (11.5% at the time of writing), a significant minority of traders think there’s more pain to come.

Much of the concern appears to stem from the company’s takeover of US rival Regal Entertainment and the huge impact this has had on its balance sheet. In August, Cineworld sought to quell these fears by announcing that reducing this burden was “ahead of schedule” following the repayment of $570m in term loans. Nevertheless, recent share price action (and the fact that adjusted net debt of $3.3bn is still almost 20% more than the company’s entire market cap) suggests that not everyone is convinced this sort of progress will continue. Nor does everyone think that synergies from the acquisition will come in as high as the estimated $150m.

But debt isn’t the only potential weakness in the investment case.

As star fund manager Terry Smith remarked during a speech earlier this year, most companies involved in the entertainment industry in some capacity have very little visibility when it comes to predicting earnings. Even critically-acclaimed films can do badly and ‘guaranteed blockbusters’ can bomb. On top of this, cinema operators have to contend with the growth in popularity of streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and, more recently, Disney+ (although the last of these won’t become available in the UK until next year). This doesn’t necessarily spell doom for trips to the flicks, but it must be considered by anyone thinking of investing. The more popular streaming becomes, the more management need to drop prices to lure people out of their homes. That’s particularly problematic for companies such as Cineworld considering the amount of money it is spending refurbishing its screens.

Contrarian bet?
Having lost a third of their value since April, the shares currently trade on just 8 times forecast earnings. That’s usually the sort of valuation that gets value investors salivating. The company is also expected to return a total of 18.3 cents per share in the current financial year, which equates to a chunky yield of 7.1%. At the moment, it looks like profits will cover this amount. However, the aforementioned risk of earnings underperformance if presumed hits like the new Star Wars, James Bond and Top Gun films fail to grab audiences could make the threat of a cut more likely.

There’s something in the suggestion that cinemas might be more resilient in the event of an economic downturn when compared to other, more expensive forms of entertainment, but I struggle to believe that operators such as Cineworld will thrive in such a scenario. Factor in the short interest, and I’m content to let this ‘opportunity’ pass me by.
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/1 ... ou-own-it/

Cineworld Group [CINE]
Buy: 191.35
Year High: 322.30 [21/01/2020]
Year Low: 187.65 [21/01/2020]
Dividend Yield: 7.65% [21/01/2020]

An impressive dividend of 7.65%.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

garindan

Post by garindan » Tue Jan 21 2020 8:03am

Well in this case it would suggest now is not the time to be investing in Cineworld. However, it should be one we keep an eye on as not so long ago people were very impressed by them! How times can change like the wind blows....

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 21 2020 11:08am

garindan wrote:
Mon Jan 20 2020 10:57pm
Just looking at the secretary's updates showing some of our previous share purchases. Seen Cineworld is now well below 200p. We bought and sold around 260p. Is there an opportunity for us to look into this one again?
Looks like the members are learning from past mistakes and selling when the time is right.

Just remember folks the rule is: you cannot buy at the bottom and you cannot sell at the top.

A few times you will be able to bread one of those rules but most of the time you will not but you will still be making money.

The other rule is when you see something tipped and decide to buy it, wait and let the froth in the price disappear then dive in.
Thanked by: garindan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

garindan

Post by garindan » Sun May 31 2020 2:54pm

Good job we didn't keep Cineworld shares. Down to 84p at the moment. Is there a new opportunity here once things get back more to a normal way of life? Probably, but a risky investment right now I think.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Jun 04 2020 9:12am

garindan wrote:
Sun May 31 2020 2:54pm
Good job we didn't keep Cineworld shares. Down to 84p at the moment. Is there a new opportunity here once things get back more to a normal way of life? Probably, but a risky investment right now I think.
Cineworld are incurring costs while at the same time revenue has dried up with, in my humble opinion, no prospect of significant footfall for a few years. Additionally, cinemas will most likely be one of the last places allowed to open.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 04 2020 10:49am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu Jun 04 2020 9:12am
garindan wrote:
Cineworld are incurring costs while at the same time revenue has dried up with, in my humble opinion, no prospect of significant footfall for a few years. Additionally, cinemas will most likely be one of the last places allowed to open.
And one of the last places for people to want to go to. And some will not bother having got used to seeing films in other ways
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 04 2020 11:52am

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jun 04 2020 10:49am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu Jun 04 2020 9:12am
garindan wrote:
And one of the last places for people to want to go to. And some will not bother having got used to seeing films in other ways
It was always a great night out to go to the cinema, see a good film and finish the night out with a visit to a tasty local resturant.

I guess that is all change now... :thumbdown:

I would be sorry to see the demise of the small independent cinemas but they certainly are in a challenging environment at the moment and I can't see all of them surviving these turbulent times.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Oct 04 2020 5:29am

"Cineworld swings to huge loss after virus closures"
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54277278

"Cinema giant Cineworld to shut after 007 fiasco"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cine ... -d2rvdxjgw

"Cineworld to close all UK, Ireland screens, Sunday Times says"
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN26O10B
Thanked by: kevinchess1

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Oct 04 2020 8:46am

Got an email to say all tickets are £4 this month. They are showing a lot of ‘old’ films. The entire Rocky series. I love going to the cinema. It was a weekly occurrence for me. But I’ve only seen TENET since they reopened, and I was the only one there. My Independent local cinema is still closed with no idea about when it will reopen. The news about Cineworld is sad but unsurprising.
Politically incorrect since 69