Sports talk or this will make 'em laugh section???

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
blythburgh

Sports talk or this will make 'em laugh section???

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 31 2016 11:22am

Now I only follow football so I can talk on a general level with 'im indoors. I could explain the offside rule by saying; "if the ball hits the back of the net it is a goal unless the Ref says otherwise and that would be because it was offside".

So my 69 year old friend who has supported Norwich City since boyhood phones and is talking about the NC manager. He says no point in ditching him unless you have someone lined up to take over. Good point.

I reply that Steve Bruce would have been great and would probably have come after being sacked by Hull but he is now manager elsewhere. Even I know he is a former player and his son, Alex, was born in the city.

So he asks who is available. I reply that according to the media Swansea wanted The Wales manager or Ryan Giggs but apparently Coleman is sticking with Wales and Swansea do not actually want Giggs.

So, Giggs is available, says my friend. Yes, I reply but he has no experience. Hasn't he, comes the reply and after a bit more of chat he says I have heard the name but I have no idea who he is.

And there was me thinking I know little about footie but he is a footie fan. OK he reads the quality press, Guadian and the I during the week and Times or Telegraph on a Sunday to see what the right wing are thinking. But at least I know who Ryan Giggs is and how much experience as a manager he has.

As his reading matter suggests he is an intelligent man. But the other day on the phone I said his weight is not helping his leg pain (due to a back injury many years ago but aggravated by him being hugely overweight). I commented that yes he does have a large plateful when we meet up for a carvery but it is largely vegetables. But they have calories I point out. He says "do they" and when I say of course they do he says "well I don't know these things."

He makes sure he has his 5 portions of veg and 2 of fruit a day but the Dentist is not happy about that. All that natural sugar in the fruit is not good for his teeth'd enamel. Bet he does not tell the Dentist or his medics about all the sweets he consumes either. But maybe they do not have calories in them either and a type 2 diabetic can eat safely eat them.

Considering I have a flexitarian diet (mainly due to 'im indoors being a gout sufferer and so has to severely restrict foods like meat in his diet) if vegetables had no calories I would be stick thin. If only it was true.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler