Wembley Stadium to be sold, what next..?

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
Boro Boy

Wembley Stadium to be sold, what next..?

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Apr 27 2018 12:50am

With news of Wembley Stadium being sold I thought what next - Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Nelsons Column? These are all National Monuments and as such should they even be allowed to be sold...? :o
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

pabenny

Re: Wembley Stadium to be sold, what next..?

Post by pabenny » Fri Apr 27 2018 8:08am

Wembley stadium is privately owned (by the Football Association). Who cares who owns it?

Ah yes, the Peugeot/BMW/etc-driving, curry/pizza/kebab-eating supporters of foreign-owned football companies whose teams are filled with foreign players.
Thanked by: blythburgh, RonFlorabud

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Apr 27 2018 9:12am

I drive a NIssan, not a lover of curry, never drink lager, never had a kebab and rarely eat pizza. But I feel it should not be sold to the the Yanks,

But it will be sold and then it will be a platform for the strange game the Americans mistakenly call football
Thanked by: Boro Boy, kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Apr 27 2018 9:59am

Big mistake selling off all our national assets to owners abroad; the biggest mistake was selling off the utility companies. What next I wonder...? :crazy:
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Apr 27 2018 11:41am

blythburgh wrote:...But it will be sold and then it will be a platform for the strange game the Americans mistakenly call football
Like has happened at US-owned Manchester United?

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Apr 27 2018 11:50am

Boro Boy wrote:..the biggest mistake was selling off the utility companies...
Pray explain. Why was allowing (some) utilities to be acquired by foreign owners a mistake?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Apr 27 2018 12:06pm

pabenny wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:..the biggest mistake was selling off the utility companies...
Pray explain. Why was allowing (some) utilities to be acquired by foreign owners a mistake?
Control of our utilities by a foreign power could leave us vulnerable - talk of China building our future power stations does not make be feel warm and cosy...! :shock:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Apr 27 2018 12:29pm

National Grid, who control the gas and energy networks is UK-headquartered company, listed on the UK stock exchange. The big six energy suppliers are all owned by publicly quoted companies. The largest two by customer numbers are headquartered and listed in the UK; the owners of the others are multi-nationals listed in other Western European countries. I'm not sure I see risk here?

As for the suggestion that Chinese companies might building power stations in the UK - that is about allowing foreign investment, not about selling nationally owned assets. We've long been open to foreign investment, whether Russians, Arabs, Americans owning football businesses, Japanese companies opening car factories, etc. Is there a risk in allowing Chinese investors to build infrastructure? Possibly - but that is a somewhat different debate.
Last edited by pabenny on Fri Apr 27 2018 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelixOnline

Post by FelixOnline » Fri Apr 27 2018 12:59pm

blythburgh wrote:I drive a NIssan, not a lover of curry, never drink lager, never had a kebab and rarely eat pizza. But I feel it should not be sold to the the Yanks,

But it will be sold and then it will be a platform for the strange game the Americans mistakenly call football
They already hold NFL games there. I used to work there.

RonFlorabud

Post by RonFlorabud » Fri Apr 27 2018 2:39pm

Boro Boy wrote:Big mistake selling off all our national assets to owners abroad; the biggest mistake was selling off the utility companies. What next I wonder...? :crazy:
It is not a "national asset". It is owned by the Football Association and they should be free to do whatever is in their interest.
Like everything in this world, it's all about money. No doubt there'll be another worthless petition at change.org where people with far too much time on their hands can protest.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh