On this day

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Kelantan

On this day

Post by Kelantan » Thu Aug 19 2021 11:06am

19th August 2021

THE TRANSFIGURATION Christian (Eastern Orthodox - Julian calendar)
This festival commemorates the occasion when Jesus went up a mountain with three of his disciples, Peter, James and John, who saw his face change and his clothes become dazzling white. They witnessed him in conversation with Moses and Elijah, and heard a voice saying, ‘This is my own dear Son with whom I am pleased – listen to him’. For many Christians this confirms the divine nature of Jesus.

ASHURA (10th Muharram) Muslim
For Sunni Muslims Ashura is a minor fast observed by the Prophet. Shi‘a Muslims recall a great tragedy that took place in AH 61 (680 CE). The Imam Husayn (son of Ali and Fatimah and therefore grandson of the Prophet) was attacked and killed at Karbala (now in Iraq) along with his family and followers by the troops of the Caliph Yazid.

International Orangutan Day
Orangutan, old man of the forest, an inhabitant of rich tropical forests and endangered victim of the Palm Oil industry. These magnificent creatures have been facing extinction at the hands of deforestation in the name of industry for decades. International Orangutan Day was established to help raise awareness of their plights and aid in protecting them.

Photography Day
The soft click of the camera, a flash of light and a moment in time captured forever. Maybe digitally, maybe on film, the medium is never as important as the memory or moment caught. A group of people, a sunset, or even a fish jumping out of the water, a photograph is a way to feel the emotion and context of that exact moment. Celebrate that, on this picturesque Photography Day! Photography Day is a day whereby we pay tribute to the incredible art form that is photography. There are those personal photos that we all love and cherish, but there are also photos that tell a story. They tell us about significant periods in time or enable us to learn more about the planet. After all, they do say that a picture is worth one-thousand words, right?

Potato Day
Potato chips, hash-browns, baked potatoes, home fries, mashed potatoes, and tater skins are just some of the incredibly delicious things you can make with potatoes. The potato is an unusual little tuber that has played an important role in the history of the world and was, in fact, the primary food crop for an entire nation. Potato Day celebrates this wonderful tuber and all the things you can use it for. What’s your favourite potato treat? Potatoes were first cultivated by man in Southern Peru and the Northwest regions of Bolivia sometime between 5000 and 8000 BC. From that point forward it has spread all over the globe to become one of the primary staple crops of many cultures. Potatoes are a favourite part of many cuisines, with millions of different forms of preparation to be found. Potatoes are even used to make bread, rolls, and pancakes, and as such can be found in every meal of the day. For a time, Ireland was so reliant on the potato as a food crop that a potato plague managed to starve the entire country. Make no mistake, there was plenty of food being grown in Ireland at the time, 5 ships full a day were being sailed out of the country, but the people of Ireland were being drained dry by the English who ruled them, that potatoes and cabbage were all they had to live on. The Russians, on the other hand, discovered quite a different use for the potato. Are you a fan of vodka? Good news! Good Russian Vodka is actually a distillation of potato, and the name vodka means “Little Water”, a clear indicator of its importance in Russia. Today, the humble potato is the fifth most crop worldwide, coming in after wheat, corn, rice, and sugar cane, as measured by total calories cultivated. Interestingly, the potato was something of a curiosity in Europe at the start of the 18th century. Merchants had only just begun bringing it from South America and experimenting with it as a type of food. Most people, including those living in Ireland, had never seen anything like it before. The humble potato, however, soon took off in popularity. The way the plant grows makes it inherently more productive than grains – the crop that historically provided the vast bulk of the average person’s calories. Grass crops tend to become tall and fall over when the berries on top get too heavy. Potatoes, though carry on growing, regardless of the size and shape of the plant on top. So long as the plant collects sun rays, it has sufficient energy to produce the starches that make up the potato tuber’s internal structure. It is no wonder, therefore, that Potato Day has become a sensation. The humble spud has been providing populations with a stable source of calories for centuries. It started its journey in South America and then made its way to Europe, following the discovery of the New World. The potato is so nutritious that people can live off it for months at a time without having to supplement their diet with any other foods. What’s more, it is cheap and tasty, forming a vital constituent of many of the world’s favourite foods!

International Bow Day
It’s true! Whether made of silk or cotton, plain or bedecked with rhinestones and glitter, there’s one thing you can know for certain. No matter what it is, putting a bow on it will make it better. International Bow Day encourages us all to wear a bow and share their magnificence with the world at large.

World Humanitarian Day
World Humanitarian Day on August 19 recognises humanitarian aid workers all over the world. Established by the UN in 2009, this day commemorates the anniversary of the bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Iraq. 22 people lost their lives, including the UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights. Humanitarian aid workers provide life-saving assistance to suffering people all over the world. Those workers who live in conflict zones or in areas devastated by natural disasters are especially vulnerable.

A Selection of Birthdays

1590 Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland, English soldier, born in Stratford-atte-Bow, Middlesex (d. 1649)
1596 Elizabeth Stuart, Electress of the Palatinate, "The Winter Queen" of Bohemia and daughter of James VI and I of England and Scotland, born at Dunfermline Palace, Fife (d. 1662)
1631 John Dryden, English poet (1st Poet Laureate 1668-1700), born in Aldwincle, Northamptonshire (d. 1700) [OS=Aug 9]
1646 John Flamsteed, Astronomer & 1st Astronomer Royal, born Denby, Derbyshire (d. 1719)
1686 Eustace Budgell, English writer (The Spectator, writing 37 numbers signed X), born in Saint Thomas, Exeter (d. 1737)
1689 Samuel Richardson, English novelist (Pamela), born in Mackworth, Derbyshire (d. 1761)
1711 Edward Boscawen, British admiral in the Royal Navy, born in Tregothnan, Cornwall (d. 1761)
1790 Edward John Dent, British clockmaker to Queen Victoria and commissioned to make Big Ben, London (completed after his death by his son Frederick Dent), born in London (d. 1853)
1808 James Nasmyth, Scottish engineer and inventor of the steam hammer, born in Edinburgh (d. 1890)
1860 John Kane, Scottish-American primitivist painter (Self-Portrait), born in West Calder (d. 1934)
1871 Orville Wright, American aviator (Wright Brothers), born in Dayton, Ohio (d. 1912)
1883 Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, French fashion designer (Chanel), born in Saumur, France (d. 1971)
1889 Arthur Waley, Ssinologist, translator from Chinese & Japanese, b. Tunbridge Wells, Kent (d.1966)
1899 Charlie Hall, English comedic actor (Tit for Tat, A Chump at Oxford), born Birmingham (d. 1959)
1900 Gilbert Ryle, British philosopher, Born Brighton (d. 1976)
1902 Ogden Nash, American humorous poet (I'm a Stranger Here Myself, Masquerade Party), born in Rye, New York (d. 1971)
1910 Quentin Bell, English art historian (established Charleston Trust), born in London (d. 1996)
1919 Malcolm Forbes, American publisher of Forbes Magazine, born in Brooklyn, New York (d. 1990)
1922 Douglas MacKenzie Davey, British occupational psychometrist (d. 1994)
1923 Edgar F. Codd, English-American computer scientist who contributed to the theory and practice of database management systems, born in Fortuneswell, Dorset, (d. 2003)
1930 David G. Compton, British sci-fi author (Synthajoy, Radio Plays), born in London
1935 Alan Baker, British Mathematician and winner of the Fields Medal (1970) for his work on transcendental number theory, born in London
1939 [Peter] Ginger Baker, English drummer (Cream), born in London (d. 2019)
1940 Jill St John [Oppenheim], actress (Diamonds are Forever), born in Los Angeles, California
1943 Billy J. Kramer, English rock vocalist (The Dakotas-Bad to Me), born in Liverpool
1945 Ian Gillan, English heavy metal and rock singer (Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"; Jesus Christ Superstar), born in London
1946 Bill Clinton, 42nd US President (Democrat, 1993-2001), born in Hope, Arkansas
1947 Dave Dutton, English actor (Coronation Street), born in Atherton, Greater Manchester
1950 Jennie Bond, British journalist (BBC Royal Correspondent), born in Hitchin, Hertfordshire
1951 John Deacon, British rock bassist (Queen - "Another One Bites The Dust"), born in Leicester
1957 Ian Gould, England cricketer and umpire, born in Taplow, Buckinghamshire
1958 Gordon Brand Jnr., Scottish golfer (8 x European Tour wins; Ryder Cup 1987, 89), born in Kirkcaldy, Fife (d. 2019)
1959 Steve Grimmett, British heavy metal singer (Grim Reaper), born in Swindon, Wiltshire
1967 Jason Starkey, occasional drummer and son of Beatle Ringo, born in London
1970 Clare Waight Keller, English fashion designer (first female head of Givenchy), born in Birmingham
1977 Callum Blue, English actor (Dead Like Me, The Tudors), born in London
1980 Paul Parry, Welsh footballer, born in Chepstow, Monmouthshire
1980 Darius Danesh, Scottish pop, opera & swing singer-songwriter and stage actor, born Glasgow,
1983 Mike Conway, British auto racer (FIA World Endurance C'ship 2019-20; British Formula 3 C'ship 2006), born in London
1984 Simon Bird, British comic actor (The Inbetweeners -"Will"; Friday Night Dinner - "Adam"), born in Guildford, Surrey
1987 Richard Stearman, English footballer, born in Wolverhampton
2335 William T. Riker, character on Star Trek Next Generation, born in Valdez, Alaska

On this Day in British History

1274 Edward I is crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey after returning from the Ninth Crusade
1399 King Richard II of England surrenders to his cousin Henry
1702 -24] Battle at Santa Marta Venz: English fleet beat French
1796 Spain & France sign anti-British alliance
1812 US warship Constitution defeats British warship Guerriere
1914 German fleet bombs the English coast
1915 British liner "SS Arabic" sunk by German submarine without warning leaving Liverpool for New York; killing 44. Creates diplomatic incident
1919 After nearly 100 years of British control, Afghanistan declares itself independent
1942 -20] Winston Churchill visits Field Marshal Montgomery's headquarter in Burg-al-Arab
1942 World War II: Over 4,000 Canadian and British soldiers killed, wounded or captured raiding Dieppe, France
1944 US general Omar Bradley visits British general Bernard Montgomery
1953 Democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran Mohammad Mosaddegh is overthrown in a coup orchestrated by the United Kingdom (under the name 'Operation Boot') and the United States (under the name TPAJAX Project)
1987 Hungerford Massacre: in England, Michael Ryan kills sixteen people with an assault rifle and then commits suicide

Scotland

1561 Mary Queen of Scots arrives in Leith, Scotland to assume the throne after spending 13 years in France
1745 Jacobite Rising 1745 : Bonnie Prince Charlie, raises his standard at Glenfinnan, Scotland, igniting the second Jacobite rebellion.

Weddings in History

1800 Social reformer Elizabeth Fry née Gurney (20) weds tea dealer Joseph Fry (23) at the Norwich Quaker Meeting House in Norwich

Deaths in History

1284 Alphonso, Earl of Chester, son of Edward I of England (b. 1273)
1646 Alexander Henderson, Scottish theologian Born c.1583 in Guthrie, Fife. His death was an occasion of national mourning in Scotland.
1876 George Smith, English archaeologist and assyriologist (cuneiform script), dies of fever at 36
1957 David Bomberg, English painter, dies at 66
1959 Jacob Epstein, American-English sculptor (Adam, Jacob & the Angel), dies at 78
1959 Claude Grahame-White, English aviation pioneer who was the 1st to make a night flight, dies at 79
1976 Alastair Sim, Scottish actor (Christmas Carol, Green for Danger), dies at 75
1994 Nancy Lancaster, American British decorator (Colefax and Fowler), dies at 96

Chadwick

Re: On this day

Post by Chadwick » Thu Aug 19 2021 8:41pm

Kelantan wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 11:06am
19th August 2021
Good of you to step up in Richard's absence.
You even got the same source and all the formatting right.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Aug 19 2021 8:53pm

I could not login for some reason, so used my partners login. You have a problem with that?

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Aug 20 2021 11:49am

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 8:53pm
I could not login for some reason, so used my partners login. You have a problem with that?
Don't worry - I noticed the change of poster ID but thought nothing more of it.

Keep up the good work.
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 20 2021 1:28pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 8:53pm
I thought someone was trying to steal your thunder or impersonate you.

Richard Frost

On this day

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Sep 16 2021 12:49pm

16 September 1620

The Mayflower departs Plymouth for the New World with 102 Pilgrims and about 30 crew. After 10 weeks at sea, the ship reaches America, dropping anchor near the tip of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on 21 November.
Thanked by: macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Sep 16 2021 3:04pm

Good to see this back! :thumbup:

Of course, whilst the Mayflower Pilgrims are famous, they were not the first colonists in the New World. By 1620, tJamestown, Virginia, was already 13 years old and the Roanoake colony had disappeared, having been founded in the 1580s.https://www.historytoday.com/history-matters/mayflower

Even less known is the story of the French Huguenot colonists of the 1560s, who founded Fort Caroline, in Florida - which was destroyed by the Spanish, with many of the inhabitants butchered due to their protestant faith. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... -50229713/

In the future, September 16 may also be remembered as the date of the first launch by "amateur" astronauts....
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Sep 16 2021 6:29pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Sep 16 2021 12:49pm
16 September 1620

The Mayflower departs Plymouth for the New World with 102 Pilgrims and about 30 crew. After 10 weeks at sea, the ship reaches America, dropping anchor near the tip of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on 21 November.
So last year was the 400 year anniversary. I don't recall much fuss about it. Did I miss it, or was any noting of the event curtailed by covid and pretty low key?

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Sep 16 2021 6:49pm

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Sep 16 2021 6:29pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Sep 16 2021 12:49pm
16 September 1620

So last year was the 400 year anniversary. I don't recall much fuss about it. Did I miss it, or was any noting of the event curtailed by covid and pretty low key?
https://www.mayflower400uk.org/

Richard Frost

On this day

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 17 2021 10:33am

17th September 2021

Dutch scientist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek is the first to report the existence of bacteria.

World Patient Safety Day
Established by the World Health Assembly in 2019 through resolution WHA72.6 on “Global action on patient safety” – is observed annually on 17 September. Objectives of the day are to enhance global understanding of patient safety, increase public engagement in health care safety, and promote global action to prevent and reduce avoidable harm in health care. Each year, a new theme is selected to shed light on a priority patient safety area where action is needed to reduce avoidable harm in health care and achieve universal health coverage.

A Selection of Birthdays
1619 John Lambert, English general-major and parliamentary leader, born in Kirkby Malham, (d. 1684)
1643 Gilbert Burnet, Scottish philosopher and Bishop of Salisbury, born in Edinburgh, (d. 1715)
1677 Stephen Hales, English physiologist, chemist and inventor (first person 1748 Robert Wainwright, English composer and church organist (d.1782)
1764 John Goodricke, English deaf astronomer (first to notice that some variable stars were periodic), born in Groningen, Netherlands (d. 1786)
1783 Samuel Prout, British water colour painter, born in Plymouth, (d. 1852)
1801 Edward William Lane, British lexicographer and translator (One Thousand & One Nights), born in Hereford, (d. 1876)
1819 Leon Foucault, French physicist whose pendulum proved that the Earth rotates, born in Paris (d. 1868)
1854 David Dunbar Buick, Scottish-American automobile pioneer (Buick Motor Company), born in Arbroath, Angus (d. 1929)
1861 Owen Seaman, British poet and editor (Punch), born in Shrewsbury, (d. 1936)
1881 Alfred Carpenter, English Royal Navy soldier, born in Barnes, Surrey (d. 1955)
1883 Gerald Hugh Tyrwhitt-Wilson, 14th Baron Bernes, British composer and novelist, born in Apley Hall, Shropshire (d. 1950)
1890 Lubov Tchernicheva, Russian-British ballerina, born in St. Petersburg, (d. 1976)
1894 Fay Compton [Virginia Lillian Emeline Compton], British actress (The Haunting), born in West Kensington, London (d. 1978)
1901 Francis Chichester, English aviator and sailor (Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire), born in Barnstaple, Devon, (d. 1972)
=1907 Desmond Heap, British lawyer and authority on British planning law, born in Burnley, Lancashire (d. 1998)
1909 Kenneth Darling, British Army Commander-in-chief Allied Forces, born in Bengal Presidency, British India (d. 1998)
1910 Vernon Thompson, thoracic surgeon, born Tutshill, Tidenham, Gloucestershire (d. 1995)
1912 Pauline Parsons, matron in chief (PMRAFNS) RAF nurse who served in many hotspots from the Second World War onwards, and rose to become head of her service (d. 2005)
1916 Mary Stewart, British sci-fi author (Crystal Cave), born in Sunderland, (d. 2014)
1917 Peter Bennett, British actor (Lady Chatterley's Lover, The Adventures of Robin Hood), born in London, (d. 1989)
1918 Chaim Herzog, 6th President of Israel (1983-93), born in Belfast, (d. 1997)
1920 Dinah Sheridan, British actress (Genevieve, The Railway Children, Don't Wait Up), born in Hampstead, London (d. 2012)
1922 Naomi Datta, British geneticist and bacteriologist (pioneer in investigating the development of resistance to antibiotics by bacteria), born in London (d. 2008)
1922 Ursula Howells, British actress (Hard Times, Girly, Murder is Announced), born in London, England (d. 2005)
Hank Williams
1923 John Rigby Hale, British linguist and historian, born in Ashford, Kent (d. 1999)
1926 Donald Acheson, Irish physician and Chief Medical Officer for England (1983-90), born in Belfast, (d. 2010)
1926 Reginald Marsh, British actor (Sicilians, It Happened Here), born in London, (d. 2001)
1928 Brian Matthew, British disc jockey (Saturday Club), born in Coventry (d. 2017)
1928 Roddy McDowall, actor (Planet of Apes, Cleopatra, Lord Love a Duck), born London, (d. 1998)
1929 John Stewart-Clark, British businessman and Member of the European Parliament (MEP), born in Dalmeny, Scotland
1929 David Craig, Baron Craig of Radley, British marshal (RAF), born in Dublin
1929 Stirling Moss, British auto racer (16 x F1 Grands Prix; World F1 Drivers C'ship runner-up 1955-58; 12 Hours of Sebring 1954) and broadcaster (ABC F1, NASCAR), born in London, (d. 2020)
1933 Desmond Fennell, British high court judge, born in Sheffield, (d. 2011)
1933 Pat Crowley, American actress (Money from Home, There's Always Tomorrow, Please Don't Eat the Daisies), born in Olyphant, Pennsylvania
1935 Timothy Bavin, British Anglican bishop (Bishop of Portsmouth 1985-95)
1936 Jennifer Dickson, South African-British artist and photographer, born in Piet Retief, South Africa
1938 Alec Broers, British electrical engineer and master (Churchill College Cambridge), born in Calcutta,
1942 Des Lynam, British TV and radio sportscaster, born in Ennis, County 1946 Billy Bonds MBE, English soccer defender (Charlton, West Ham United 663 games) and manager (WHU, Millwall), born in London,
1946 Michael Jack, British Conservative Party politician and minister of state-home office, born in Folkestone, Kent,
1947 Tessa Jowell, British politician and Labour Member of Parliament (1997-2015), born in Marylebone, London (d. 2018)
1949 Wile E. Coyote, Warner Bros. cartoon character created by Chuck Jones (Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series), first debuts in "Fast and Furry-ous"
1949 Road Runner, Warner Bros. cartoon character created by Chuck Jones (Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series), first debuts in "Fast and Furry-ous"
1963 Steven Dye, English singer-songwriter and bassist (Scarlet Party - 101-Dam-Nations), born in Barking, Essex,
1969 Keith Flint, English singer, musician and dancer (Prodigy), born in London, (d. 2019)
1969 Ken Doherty, Irish snooker player (world champion 1997), born in Dublin,
1985 Brendan Clarke, Irish Soccer Player with St. Patrick's Athletic
1987 Paul David Huntington, English professional footballer who is a centre back for Preston North End.

On this day in British history

1745 Edinburgh occupied by Jacobites under Charles Edward Stuart (aka the Young Pretender or Bonny Prince Charlie)
1789 William Herschel discovers Mimas, satellite of Saturn
1835 Charles Darwins lands on Chatham in Galapagos archipelago
1859 Joshua Abraham Norton, English-born resident of San Francisco, proclaims himself his Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I, Emperor of the United States of America
1899 1st British troops leave Bombay for South Africa
1929 British troops begin withdrawal from occupied Germany
1938 British premier Neville Chamberlain leaves Munich
1939 German U-29 sinks British aircraft carrier Courageous, 519 die
1944 British Premier Winston Churchill travels to US
1944 Operation Market Garden: In the largest airborne operation of WWII, Allied paratroopers land in the Netherlands in a failed attempt to capture the Arnhem bridge over the Rhine
1954 "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding is published by Faber and Faber in London
1976 Ringo Starr releases "Ringo's Rotogravure" album

Deaths in History

1563 Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland, English soldier
1630 Thomas Lake, English statesman (b. 1567)
1771 Tobias Smollett, Scottish novelist (The Adventures of Roderick Random), dies at 50
1873 Alexander Berry, Scottish surgeon and adventurer (established the first European settlement on the south coast of New South Wales, Australia), dies at 91
1877 William Henry Fox Talbot, English photographic pioneer, dies at 77
1958 Friedrich Adolf Paneth, Austrian/British chemist, dies at 71
1985 Laura Ashley, Welsh fashion designer, businesswoman and co-founder of Laura Ashley, dies by falling down the stairs of her daughter's home at 60
1994 Karl Popper, philosopher (Poverty of Historianism), dies at 92