Beachboy

Re: Locked Out

Post by Beachboy » Wed Aug 18 2021 6:28pm

Really sad news, great comedian.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Aug 19 2021 10:23am

Skin cancer apparently. First got it 30 years ago and then a flare up.

Despite all the warnings I still see so many with bright red skin putting themselves at risk.

Sean Lock will not have died far too young in vain if others reflect on his death and change their lifestyle
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Aug 19 2021 11:16am

Whilst skin cancer can result from a lifestyle choice, this is not always the case. Sean Lock blamed his on an earlier period working on building sites..... hardly a lifestyle choice.

As with all cancers, the key is early recognition and diagnosis - and access to treatment. If all of these improve, the outcome may be different.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 20 2021 9:38am

But it is often on a building site that the strip to the waist is seen even today. I can understand that they work hard and sweat so stripping off makes sense in one sense but not now we know about skin cancer. For people like Sean Lock the warnings about sunscreen and covering up came far too late.

And if you really want to keep cool in hot weather a friend who spent a lot of her early life in what is now Zimbabwe, Zambia and Iraq told me do not strip off, wear clothes that will move and create air. You do not see the locals in very hot countries stripping off do you?
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Aug 20 2021 11:04am

As with all cancers, there is no absolute link between action and result. Non-smokers can develop lung cancer, although the statistical incidence is lower. Vegetarians can develop colon cancer, though, again, the incidence is lower (and it seems that a bit of fish helps....). So whilst avoiding the apparent triggers is helpful, it's not a silver bullet. So, I'm all for education, but it must not be suggested that not doing A will result in B, just that it reduces risk. Equally, what is more important is education about early signs or symptoms AND access to diagnostic procedures.....

I haven't seen confirmation that it was skin cancer that led to Sean's death. I have also heard suggestions of other cancers involved. However, few people realise how intrusive the treatment of skin cancer can be - a friend of mine had a similar melanoma to Sean Lock and it's surgical removal was far from simple. The margin required around the tumour, including the depth of incision, meant that there was considerable loss of tissue and the need for further surgery. He was also told he should never be in full sun again...... He was lucky, his treatment was successful..... many aren't so lucky and Sean may have been one of those.

Whatever the cause, I feel for his family and mourn his loss.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me