Ukraine - where's the truth?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Re: Ukraine - where's the truth?

Post by macliam » Sat Jan 27 2024 11:18am

I'm quick to criticise the UK electoral system, but the US equivalent is even more archaic. Both may have worked once, but are now no longer fit for purpose - and neither is "democratic". If the USA, with a population of 340m people, can only find two men well past retirement age to stand as President then something is badly wrong. In addition, Trump is a paranoid narcissist and shouldn't be allowed scissors, let alone the nuclear trigger.

However, there are trumpists, just as there are those who will vote Tory in the next election, despite the chaos caused over the past 14 years to leave us with a country that no longer functiions as we have a right to expect.

Ukraine has it's own issues and is far from perfect, but their fight against Putin is the same as our own. The despicable mid-games being played by the autocrat in Russia after the Il-76 crash are testament to the total lack of morality in their system. God help us all if Russia wins - and if they do, it will be our fault.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Re: Ukraine - where's the truth?

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 17 2024 10:57pm

So, Avdiivka has fallen.

Congratulations to the Russian meat-wave tactics and to Putin for his pre-election victory at the cost of thousands of meaningless corpses.

However, congratulations are also due to Putin's allies

- To Elon Musk, for allowing the use of Starlink by Russia to obviate Ukraine's technological advantage and allow the invaders to target the defenders.

- To those US politicians who consider the loss of Ukrainian lives and territory a price well paid for "sticking it to the man".

- To those European leaders who held up vital funds to support Ukraine to seek national advantage.

- To North Korea and Iran for finding an outlet to battle-test their weapons systems to make them more of a threat to the West.

- To China, for finding a profitable ready market for its surplus military hardware.

- To Governments and companies still trading with Russia for putting their own profit above the niceties of UN declarations or morality.

As John Stuart mill said "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply"
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me