This governments shenanigans

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Sarah

Re: This governments shenanigans

Post by Sarah » Sat Jan 20 2024 12:12pm

They're so out of touch... these days many people are increasingly vocal about wanting public services to be fixed instead of tax cuts. Tory's are appealing to a shrinking greedy few.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Jan 20 2024 1:21pm

I might not be the most popular for saying this, but I would happily keep tax as it is, if we had a decent NHS, Council services. roads etc, etc. After all I have always worked on the basis that if you want something decent you have to pay for it. If you run things on a shoe lace, then you must expect them to break.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Jan 21 2024 9:52am

OK so speaking from the perspective of a non taxpaying household I know we will get tax cuts but they need to help the poorest.

No change to inheritance tax, it is only paid by 4-5% of people.

Raise the starting point of tax. It has been frozen for a few years and will continue to be frozen for a few years. This means the poorest full time workers have had to start paying tax. it now means that even pensioners especially those who retired since 2016 and are on the new far higher pension are paying tax. Hardly fair is it?

But a penny or even two off the base rate is far more headline grabbing but benefits the richer tax payer the most. And that is what Hunt will go for.

And another wish is that he removes VAT from toilet paper. Yes, they brought in VAT but did not tax essentials like food, ice cream, sweets but did tax women's sanitory products and loo rolls. The two things we cannot do without were taxed. Just remember when you buy you loo rolls that you are giving Hunt some more money to cut taxes for the rich
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jan 21 2024 9:58am

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Jan 21 2024 9:52am
OK so speaking from the perspective of a non taxpaying household I know we will get tax cuts but they need to help the poorest.

Raise the starting point of tax. It has been frozen for a few years and will continue to be frozen for a few years. This means the poorest full time workers have had to start paying tax. it now means that even pensioners especially those who retired since 2016 and are on the new far higher pension are paying tax. Hardly fair is it?

But a penny or even two off the base rate is far more headline grabbing but benefits the richer tax payer the most. And that is what Hunt will go for.

And another wish is that he removes VAT from toilet paper. Yes, they brought in VAT but did not tax essentials like food, ice cream, sweets but did tax women's sanitory products and loo rolls. The two things we cannot do without were taxed. Just remember when you buy you loo rolls that you are giving Hunt some more money to cut taxes for the rich
I agree, however I am not sure removing VAT from toilet rolls is a priority. I can buy four very decent size rolls in Sainsbury for £1.80 https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -tissue-x4 removing the VAT from it is going to make hardly a jot of difference to my weekly shopping bill. I do however accept there is a principle here though.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jan 21 2024 5:35pm

Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 23 2024 10:53am

Richard Frost wrote:
Sun Jan 21 2024 9:58am
blythburgh wrote:
Sun Jan 21 2024 9:52am

I agree, however I am not sure removing VAT from toilet rolls is a priority. I can buy four very decent size rolls in Sainsbury for £1.80 https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -tissue-x4 removing the VAT from it is going to make hardly a jot of difference to my weekly shopping bill. I do however accept there is a principle here though.
We buy Cushelle (usually on offer as we always have a pack of 6 tubeless in the cupboard underneath the pack we are using. Just believe in keeping a well stocked cupboard in case the worst happens. But if you have to use a food bank or only just manage to avoid using one and buy cheaper loo rolls then those few pennies saved are worth it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 24 2024 10:33am

Fascinating Aida don't seem enamoured with Richboy.... their formula for a Tory MP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIavzrJExXQ

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 24 2024 4:52pm

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jan 26 2024 11:54am

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Jan 20 2024 1:21pm
I might not be the most popular for saying this, but I would happily keep tax as it is, if we had a decent NHS, Council services. roads etc, etc. After all I have always worked on the basis that if you want something decent you have to pay for it. If you run things on a shoe lace, then you must expect them to break.
Excited for a tax cut? Don’t be. All it means is more austerity for Britain
The real priority should be Britain’s increasingly threadbare public services. The current fiscal plans imply that departments outside health, education and defence will suffer the kind of cuts last seen in the early 2010s during the first wave of austerity. Even the most zealous small-stater would surely agree that after 14 years of tight spending there is little in the way of fat to cut. And even in the “protected” areas of the state such as health and education, current spending plans are hardly adequate. The NHS waiting list in England alone stands at 7.6m and more than 40% of incoming patients are waiting more than four hours in accident and emergency departments. Teacher recruitment is running at 38% below its target level as real-terms pay cuts bite.

If the chancellor has any fiscal wriggle room at the next budget, the clear priority should be reversing the planned real-terms cuts in public spending rather than broad-based tax cuts. If he has managed to carve out £20bn then that is a considerable amount of money to plug some very large holes. To put it in context, that is a third of the annual schools budget. Not only does this make more economic sense, it makes more political sense too. Polling suggests that the public are more concerned with the dire state of public services than with their tax bills.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eremy-hunt

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jan 30 2024 8:04pm

IMF warns UK government against further tax cuts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68140634