What the heck is it with eBay buyers?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

What the heck is it with eBay buyers?

Post by macliam » Sat Sep 09 2023 2:27pm

There was a garden tool advertised on eBay as "new, other", so open box and possibly no way to activate warranty. However it was started at £60 against a list price abot 3X higher. The other downside for me was a P&P of over £20 when others are suggesting closer to £6 (and that what I paid on a lawnmower a few weeks back).

I put in a bid and was not surprised when it was bested, but kept my eye on it, with a view to possibly increasing my bid. However, the bidding went to £90, which is more than I'd pay, under the circumstances.

It has just completed - at a final price of over £130!!!

So, adding on the postage, that's the best part of £135 for something that you could pck up from Wickes or Screwfixfor £160, brand new and guaranteed.

Are bidders just stupid?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Re: What the heck is it with eBay buyers?

Post by Sarah » Sat Sep 09 2023 6:21pm

macliam wrote:
Sat Sep 09 2023 2:27pm
Are bidders just stupid?
No doubt some are; or simply too busy, lazy, carefree, inept or (other applicable adjectives) to do meaningful research into their purchases. Also buyers could be using coupons, credits, vouchers from Nectar points (etc) that you can't see yet improve the deal for them.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Sep 09 2023 8:01pm

Sarah wrote:
Sat Sep 09 2023 6:21pm
macliam wrote:
Are bidders just stupid?
No doubt some are; or simply too busy, lazy, carefree, inept or (other applicable adjectives) to do meaningful research into their purchases. Also buyers could be using coupons, credits, vouchers from Nectar points (etc) that you can't see yet improve the deal for them.
Dropped into Wickes earlier - and there it was for £159.00 - exactly the same, except new, boxed and with a full warranty.

I'm sure the buyer didn't see the P&P charge...............
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

FelixOnline

Post by FelixOnline » Sun Sep 10 2023 5:00pm

Sarah wrote:
Sat Sep 09 2023 6:21pm
macliam wrote:
Are bidders just stupid?
That is true but sometimes, people just get their rocks off by sniping/outbidding the previous person just for the thrill of "winning".

I used to get a lot of second chance offers for bids I've previously made or as a seller, 'customers' wanting to cancel the item after winning with some BS excuses.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Sep 10 2023 9:22pm

Perhaps those bidders belong in the 'stupid' group. ;)

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Mon Sep 11 2023 1:03am

Just seen this 'Stupid' listing on ebay:

£5 National Garden Gift Voucher - starting price £5.00 + £3.99 P&P

£10 National Garden Gift Voucher - starting price £10.00 + £3.99 P&P

But of the best / worst has to be from 2009 - the last ever bag of Woolworth Pick'n'Mix.

More than 100 bids were made for the bag, as people rushed to get a piece of confectionery history. The 800g bag included fizzy cola bottles, rhubarb & custards, strawberry bon bons, Turkish delight, white mice and pineapple cubes.

The buyer of what must be the world’s most expensive trick-or-treat bag was yesterday unavailable for comment, after spending more than £18 for each gram of sweets.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 28948.html

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Sep 11 2023 11:26am

Many years ago I went to Acle Market. It was unusual in that it was a normal lifestock/deadstock auction site plus market trader stalls.

We looked at the strawberries on sale on the stalls and in the produce area of the deadstock. Took notice of the market stall price and was prepared to bid. To my total shock the same strawberries that the market traders had brought to market from their small holdings was being sold in the auction at higher prices. We let the idiots buy then when they had theirs we bid on some later equally good fruit but got it at a lower price than from the market stall. And laughed about those who bought identical stuff for a higher price than they could have done
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler