Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1

Brexit Bounces too

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri May 17 2019 11:20pm

So,
The cross party talks collapsed without agreement...there's a surprise
TM gonna have ANOTHER go at getting her 'Deal' through..that wont happen. so what next?
The Tories will have the leadership contest and will PROBABLY elect someone Pro Brexit.
And it wont make any difference
Parliament wont allow a No deal. there isn't enough support for it they could try and go back to Brussel to renegotiate (Good luck with that( so they will have to ask for ANOTHER extension
If the EU had the sense/bottle they would refuse another extension(I mean what really is the point) and force parliament to choose between No deal or canceling Brexit. Honestly that could go either way
I diu that Brussel will do that
I suspect they would push us towards a General election, our 3rd in 4 years
I was worry about having a 5 year fixed term parliament Guess i didn't need to be
After a General Election unless there is a Landslide, the incoming government will be in exactly the same position as the current one
I'll be dead before this is resolved
Makes me yearn for the time when we worried about Nuclear war
As always this is 'Just-my-opinion.'
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat May 18 2019 12:11am

Uncertain times.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Sat May 18 2019 2:05am

One thing is certain is the uncertainty will benefit somebody but not us plebs.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat May 18 2019 8:46am

It's very difficult to see a way forward.

Based on the Parliamentary votes in March/April, there is no consensus on anything and most mooted 'compromises' involve Them modifying their position to agree with Us.

As Kev says, a general election is unlikely to bring clarity.

I very much point the finger of blame towards the Leavers: we've had a rabid jingoism (for example the press calling the Supreme Court judges 'enemies of the people). We've had intransigence (from the arch-masters in the DUP). We've had fantasy (Liam Fox claiming trade deals would be ready to go). We've had breathtaking ignorance (Dominic Raab being unaware of the volume of trade through Dover). Not to mention a complete lack of willingness to cooperate with others (eg Labour) and totally ignoring the concerns of those who didn't support Leave.

A little (no, a lot) more pragmatism on the Leave side and we might be on the sunny uplands of Brexited by now.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 18 2019 8:51am

It is possible that despite the wish of Parliament any new Prime Minister declines to negotiate a new deal and we crash out in October. But pointless speculation. The maybot is not yet dead and it is still possible for her to do many things to change the course of things before she goes. What surprises me is how she is able to hang on despite 99.9% of her party not wanting her. All because the MPs did not have the courage of their convictions to vote against her in a vote of no confidence.

Corbyn got elected because their were some Labour MPs who felt he should be given a chance and signed the nomination paper despite their real feelings. They then regretted it once he got in. If only MPs voted as per their true feelings rather then trying to play politics. This Brexit thing could have been over and done with.

Me personally, I don't care. I would prefer to remain in the EU, but the uncertainty is doing more damage to the country than any deal or no deal would do. We just need it over with and if that means crashing out then so be it.

Despite the wishes of many, I don't think a confirmatory referendum would be of any use whatsoever the country is divided and it would open up more wounds if it went ahead. The electorate as a mass just do not know what they really want.

I guess my biggest worry is whom will be the next PM. I certainly worry that Boris is currently 20 points ahead of the others in the polls. Remember the water cannon and the Kipling blunder in Myanmar. Remember his gaffes with Iran. We moan about Trump and yet we are possibly about to have as PM Trump in another guise. He has no loyalty he is a divisive character and has no sense of how to work in a team. He would be a disaster for the country in my opinion.

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat May 18 2019 10:02am

William Joseph
Who would of you like as PM?
Or is it a case of a long list of people you wouldn’t like?
Thanked by: Kelantan, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 18 2019 10:22am

There is a long list of people I would not like, but I am not a conservative so that's to be accepted. I suppose if pushed from the long list of possibles, I would give my preference to Esther McVey.

I think the Most missed opportunity for Labour Prime Minister was David Miliband followed by Chuka Umunna. Neither of those are in the running or are likely to be. If it comes to a general election. I would give serious consideration to voting for Change UK rather than Labour. I have not voted for them in the Euro elections because at the moment I think they are too wishy washy and their manifesto has no real substance. I think they have a long way to go before the masses will vote for them in a general election.

My default vote would go to Labour even though at the moment I think they are too left Wing.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 18 2019 10:35am

Strangely enough I would not object to Michael Gove as PM. He seems to have a bit more common sense than most of the bunch. I would not particularly trust him though. He is I think a very devious character.

I Wonder if it will ever come to pass that Boris will be lying on the runway at Heathrow. I guess one of his first actions will be to build an Island in the Thames for the new London airport and cancel any expansion at Heathrow.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 18 2019 11:14am

I heard that a lot of remain supporting Tories have a great deal of respect of Andrea Leadsom because of the way she has done her job.

Well, like Gove she would be someone I could not label a turncoat in the way I can with Boris Johnson. She and Gove have always been "brexiteers" or as John Major would call them "bustards".

Another thing in Leadsom's favour is she always appears well dressed in Parliament or when on official business. Yes, I have seen less than flattering pics of Gove, but does anyone look that great when out jogging?

But in the end clothes are not the most important thing. Like a "new" car, I would hate to buy one in "that" colour but if the perfect car at the right price was the only one I could find was "that" colour I would be the new owner.

Johnson would be elected if his name gets onto the ballot paper but will the Tory MP's who really know him allow his name to go forward to the Tory Party electorate.

As for the island in the Thames he will face enormous opposition from environmentalists here and around the world. If you think the campaign against Heathrow was fierce you have not encountered the wrath of birdwatchers and all who care about nature.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 18 2019 11:36am

The Island was mentioned more in jest than seriousness. I do not see Leadsom getting very far, I do not think she has the pull. Although she would probably make a reasonable PM. She has not confirmed yet she would stand. To be honest I do not really see her as a contender. Time will tell.
Last edited by Richard Frost on Sat May 25 2019 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.