I must be old

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
expressman33
Posts: 9919
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2474 times
Been thanked: 10384 times
Contact:

I must be old

Post by expressman33 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:59 pm

copied from a facebook post
Image

Constantine
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 568 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by Constantine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm

I have no recollection whatsoever (I'm not that bloody old), but I would sat that;

one, seaweed has been a recognised food in certain parts of south Wales for centuries
two, Elizabeth David published her books in the early 1950s, so at least some people knew there was more to food
three, the first curry restaurant opened in 1810, they were quite common in London in the 1950s
four, takeaways would have common everywhere, as in fish and chip shops

macliam
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1414 times
Been thanked: 7149 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by macliam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

The use of the word "gasoline" suggests this is an American post.......

They didn't even have chlorinated chicken back then and any discussion of hormones and cattle could get a cowboy arrested....
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1
Posts: 11583
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2702 times
Been thanked: 6930 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Its wrong factually anyway, water is not more expensive than petrol. I can buy two litres of spring water in Tesco for 17p. If policeman look young then you are old.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Constantine
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 568 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by Constantine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm
The use of the word "gasoline" suggests this is an American post.......

They didn't even have chlorinated chicken back then and any discussion of hormones and cattle could get a cowboy arrested....
Maybe. But tea, when did the Americans drink tea? And pizza? That was commonplace in the US.

Perhaps it's one of those lists that have a looong interweb history.

Chadwick
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 817 times
Been thanked: 2143 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:39 pm

It's American.
We don't have cellphones over here.

Also explains why water is more expensive than 'gasoline'.

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24792
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3602 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 am

I don't understand.

What do they mean by "elbows" and "hats" in the last sentence? I understand "cell phones" as in no mobile phones at the dinner table.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

expressman33
Posts: 9919
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2474 times
Been thanked: 10384 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by expressman33 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 am
I don't understand.

What do they mean by "elbows" and "hats" in the last sentence? I understand "cell phones" as in no mobile phones at the dinner table.
It was considered rude to have your elbow/elbow's on the table. I remember my dad used to knock my elbow if I put it on the dinner table

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/bo ... dls0f.html
Thanked by: stockportcounty

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24792
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3602 times
Contact:

Re: I must be old

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am

expressman33 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 am
I don't understand.

What do they mean by "elbows" and "hats" in the last sentence? I understand "cell phones" as in no mobile phones at the dinner table.
It was considered rude to have your elbow/elbow's on the table. I remember my dad used to knock my elbow if I put it on the dinner table

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/bo ... dls0f.html
I understand now.
Thanked by: stockportcounty
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests