London Mayor too close a friend of extinction rebellion to do his job?

Media articles about money-saving topics
pabenny

Re: London Mayor too close a friend of extinction rebellion to do his job?

Post by pabenny » Fri Oct 11 2019 11:32am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 10:06am
Global warming and Ice Ages have been happening as long as this planet has been in existence...
So trying to interpret what you are saying, you accept that there is climate change - but not that it is human-made and not that humans can do anything to influence it.

If I've misunderstood, kindly explain what you do believe.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 11 2019 2:22pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Global warming and Ice Ages have been happening as long as this planet has been in existence, thinking we can alter the course of events is similar to thinking men are gods...! Lets just concentrate on cleaning up the planet, something we can do!
Yes, there have been changes in the Earth's temperature ever since it began. But the rate of change has been incredibly fast over the past 100-200 years. And it appears to be linked to the rise of mass industry and burning of fossil fuels, mass agriculture and generally all the large scale development we have made over that time.

Many scientists believe we can still slow down the rate of change, even if not reverse it, but that our window of opportunity for doing that is shrinking. Obviously they haven't got access to the level of research you have done, else I'm sure they would have reached a different conclusion. You should share your definitive studies to put them out of their misery.

In other news, why do you want to clean up the planet by reducing the amount of plastic out in the wild?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 11 2019 3:38pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 2:22pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Global warming and Ice Ages have been happening as long as this planet has been in existence, thinking we can alter the course of events is similar to thinking men are gods...! Lets just concentrate on cleaning up the planet, something we can do!
Yes, there have been changes in the Earth's temperature ever since it began. But the rate of change has been incredibly fast over the past 100-200 years. And it appears to be linked to the rise of mass industry and burning of fossil fuels, mass agriculture and generally all the large scale development we have made over that time.
Yes it only "appears" to be this interpretation until the next interpretation of course. I wonder what brought on the previous ice ages and climate changes...? :wave:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 11 2019 9:02pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 3:38pm
Chadwick wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
Yes it only "appears" to be this interpretation until the next interpretation of course. I wonder what brought on the previous ice ages and climate changes...? :wave:
As I say, if you've got the evidence that has eluded 97% of the world's scientists, I think now is the time to share it.

I'm no expert, but I think previous ice ages have been caused by combinations of the changing tilt of the earth's rotation, the position of the continents/the amount of water on the sunny side, volcanic activity or dust clouds from meteor strikes, and a natural reaction when the balance tips too far. Technically we're in an ice-age now - we're just in a brief 10,000 year warm period, which is likely to end soon. But the transition is over thousands of years - it shouldn't be measurable over a few decades.

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Fri Oct 11 2019 10:32pm

The tories and British Trump are the real problems when it comes to tackling climate issues

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-action

" Conservative MPs are almost five times as likely to vote against climate action than legislators from other parties, a Guardian analysis of 16 indicative parliamentary divisions over the past decade has revealed.

The Tories also registered many more donations, shares, salaries, gifts and tickets to sporting events from fossil fuel companies, petrostates, aviation companies and climate sceptics, according to declarations made in the parliamentary record of MPs’ interests between 2008 and 2019."

Do your homework boro boy.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 11 2019 10:41pm

Derbiean wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 10:32pm
The tories and British Trump are the real problems when it comes to tackling climate issues

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-action

" Conservative MPs are almost five times as likely to vote against climate action than legislators from other parties, a Guardian analysis of 16 indicative parliamentary divisions over the past decade has revealed.

The Tories also registered many more donations, shares, salaries, gifts and tickets to sporting events from fossil fuel companies, petrostates, aviation companies and climate sceptics, according to declarations made in the parliamentary record of MPs’ interests between 2008 and 2019."

Do your homework boro boy.
What and scour the left wing press on who accepts free (declared) tickets as that is sure to help someone understand climate change... Leave it out! :wave:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 11 2019 10:45pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 9:02pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Chadwick wrote:

As I say, if you've got the evidence that has eluded 97% of the world's scientists, I think now is the time to share it.

I'm no expert, but I think previous ice ages have been caused by combinations of the changing tilt of the earth's rotation, the position of the continents/the amount of water on the sunny side, volcanic activity or dust clouds from meteor strikes, and a natural reaction when the balance tips too far. Technically we're in an ice-age now - we're just in a brief 10,000 year warm period, which is likely to end soon. But the transition is over thousands of years - it shouldn't be measurable over a few decades.
...make your mind up; what is next a escalation of earths temperatures or an ice age or is extinction rebellion now petitioning to correct the earths tilt...!!! :wave:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat Oct 12 2019 3:10pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 10:45pm
Chadwick wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:

...make your mind up; what is next a escalation of earths temperatures or an ice age or is extinction rebellion now petitioning to correct the earths tilt...!!! :wave:
Christ, you're hard work.
Chadwick wrote:the transition is over thousands of years - it shouldn't be measurable over a few decades.
In theory, if the earth continues to follow previous patterns, we should be heading towards a cooler climate over the next few millennia. Until a few hundred years ago, that was actually happening. But then global temperatures have abruptly become warmer at a much more rapid pace, and far faster than has been measured previously. The danger is that it is too fast for the natural process of adaptation. The consensus of scientific opinion is that the temperature change is due to man-made causes.

What's next, if we follow your denial that anything is happening, is that temperatures escalate. One consequence of that is that ice melts, raising sea levels enough to flood low-lying coastal regions such as East Anglia, the Netherlands, London, New York, Shanghai. The changing temperature of the sea especially is expected to cause changes in the global air currents that help regulate temperatures and weather patterns. The Jetstream is the one most often associated the UK's climate. This will change our climate and while it changes we will see more extreme weather events such as storms. We already know how the UK handles a single long dry summer or a week of heavy rain.

Meanwhile, plants and animals are likely to struggle to adapt quickly enough. We should expect our food sources to be impacted. We might have to ship food in from other parts of the globe as the climate shifts, or find new food products. There may be shortages of basics if we cannot relocate crop and livestock rearing.

All of this will also happen if we remove the human impact and follow the natural pattern that should lead us to another ice age. But it will take thousands of years and we will all have plenty of time to adapt, including natural evolution of plants.

I'm not sure what you don't believe. That global temperatures are rising at an unprecedented rate; or that it is caused by human activity. If it's the former, have a look at this simple graphic, showing the change in temperature over the past 150 years. This is not a forecast or a model; it is calculated from evidence that exists:
ImageSource: https://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2018 ... on-update/

Your main argument seems to be that the scientists keep updating their forecasts as they do more research. I know there are other subjects where you can't understand how change continues to happen, instead of everything just staying as it was at a single point of time. But we do keep trying to understand how the world works and as we discover new evidence or results we update our views accordingly. That's how we discovered that human health is not governed by the four humours, or that fibre optic cable could transmit more data than copper.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Oct 13 2019 2:05am

Chadwick wrote:
Sat Oct 12 2019 3:10pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 10:45pm
Chadwick wrote:

Christ, you're hard work.
Chadwick wrote:the transition is over thousands of years - it shouldn't be measurable over a few decades.
In theory, if the earth continues to follow previous patterns, we should be heading towards a cooler climate over the next few millennia. Until a few hundred years ago, that was actually happening. But then global temperatures have abruptly become warmer at a much more rapid pace, and far faster than has been measured previously. The danger is that it is too fast for the natural process of adaptation. The consensus of scientific opinion is that the temperature change is due to man-made causes.

What's next, if we follow your denial that anything is happening, is that temperatures escalate. One consequence of that is that ice melts, raising sea levels enough to flood low-lying coastal regions such as East Anglia, the Netherlands, London, New York, Shanghai. The changing temperature of the sea especially is expected to cause changes in the global air currents that help regulate temperatures and weather patterns. The Jetstream is the one most often associated the UK's climate. This will change our climate and while it changes we will see more extreme weather events such as storms. We already know how the UK handles a single long dry summer or a week of heavy rain.

Meanwhile, plants and animals are likely to struggle to adapt quickly enough. We should expect our food sources to be impacted. We might have to ship food in from other parts of the globe as the climate shifts, or find new food products. There may be shortages of basics if we cannot relocate crop and livestock rearing.

All of this will also happen if we remove the human impact and follow the natural pattern that should lead us to another ice age. But it will take thousands of years and we will all have plenty of time to adapt, including natural evolution of plants.

I'm not sure what you don't believe. That global temperatures are rising at an unprecedented rate; or that it is caused by human activity. If it's the former, have a look at this simple graphic, showing the change in temperature over the past 150 years. This is not a forecast or a model; it is calculated from evidence that exists:
ImageSource: https://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2018 ... on-update/

Your main argument seems to be that the scientists keep updating their forecasts as they do more research. I know there are other subjects where you can't understand how change continues to happen, instead of everything just staying as it was at a single point of time. But we do keep trying to understand how the world works and as we discover new evidence or results we update our views accordingly. That's how we discovered that human health is not governed by the four humours, or that fibre optic cable could transmit more data than copper.
But we don't say that fibre optical cable is the end of the line, this is as good as it gets; we realise that technology can improve and supersede the knowledge we have today. However, despite changes to past predictions climate changers don't accept that they might be saying something completely different again in ten years time and adamantly lecture that it is the end of the world now even though a tilting globe probably has more effect on climate change than any so called carbon effect. Result for me is to deal with things we can change and lets just clean up the earth and stop sitting on top of aircraft.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Oct 13 2019 8:45am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Oct 13 2019 2:05am
... Result for me is to deal with things we can change and lets just clean up the earth ...
So let's share some tips. What are you doing to clean up the earth?