The future of social housing by councils?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Derbiean

The future of social housing by councils?

Post by Derbiean » Sat Oct 12 2019 12:47pm

Norwich council have tried something interesting and award-winning and may even save on heating bills.

The estate, which was designed by a London firm, Mikhail Riches, is built to German Passivhaus standards, a rigorous system that reduces a building’s ecological footprint. The houses are designed to be as airtight as possible, with a mechanical heat and ventilation system that circulates air through the rooms. Heating bills should theoretically be about £150 a year.

There are teething problems tho as the article points out;

Many complained that the houses’ fittings were breaking and they had struggled to keep their homes cool during the record-breaking temperatures this summer. Westgate said her toilet leaked and her taps had broken. “The longer we live here, the more I notice little things that are wrong, but it’s stuff that we can improve on,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ith-street

Thoughts? Assuming the costs are not astronomical and the problems can be resolved this might be something to adopt nationwide?
Thanked by: blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Re: The future of social housing by councils?

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Oct 16 2019 12:30am

All new adventures have teething problems but this is a step in the right direction.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 16 2019 11:07am

Some said it was hard to keep houses cool during heatwave. I live very close to the sea and it is usually cooler here in a heatwave (I tell myself Norwich will be hotter in the summer but still feel I am wearing the wrong clothes). Our house was built in the 1880's and it is hard to keep it cool in heatwaves.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Wed Oct 16 2019 1:35pm

During a heatwave, I imagine you'll always have trouble keeping a house/flat cool unless you install air conditioning ;)