It makes me sad...

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

It makes me sad...

Post by macliam » Wed Feb 05 2020 7:12pm

.....to read stories like this:
https://www.hellofaread.com/royal/hero- ... ll-health/

Be it a soldier, a sportsman, or anyone else you can feel the desperation when someone has to sell something they earned.

If people can "donate" £272,000 to ring a bloody bell, surely to God £20k can be found to help this guy out and put his medal in a museum, rather than it disappear into some rich collector's safe.
Thanked by: pakefield, kevinchess1
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Re: It makes me sad...

Post by pakefield » Wed Feb 05 2020 7:28pm

A museum is where it should be and on display with the story of how he got it and why it is in the museum and not in his home where it should be.
Thanked by: macliam

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Feb 06 2020 1:31am

macliam wrote:
Wed Feb 05 2020 7:12pm
.....to read stories like this:
https://www.hellofaread.com/royal/hero- ... ll-health/

Be it a soldier, a sportsman, or anyone else you can feel the desperation when someone has to sell something they earned.

If people can "donate" £272,000 to ring a bloody bell, surely to God £20k can be found to help this guy out and put his medal in a museum, rather than it disappear into some rich collector's safe.
Time to find someone wealthy.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 06 2020 7:53am

It makes me more angry than sad.

Become ill or disabled before you retire and you can get financial help. But become more ill or disabled after the official retirement age and the hurdle you have to clear to get that financial help is far, far higher.

Get one illness and you get so much help from the NHS but get dementia and it is largely left to your family to care for you with bu**er all help from Social Services. And family all too often means a spouse who is also elderly and frail. Children can live too far away or are working full time themselves. Too many people, especially women are known as "the sandwich generation" which means they are trying to care for elderly parents and grandchildren so their children can work full time so they can afford to pay the rent/mortgage.

It is time the Govt. bit the bullet and the NHS and Social Care overhauled to support people.

This brave man should not have to sell his most treasured possession. And I just hope Princess Anne proves herself worthy of the title Princess Royal by buying it and saying "you keep it and when you are no longer here it can go into a museum of your choice."
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler