Financial Reality starts to hit home for the EU

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Financial Reality starts to hit home for the EU

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Feb 16 2020 12:56pm

The EU project may have been great for the airy fairy idealists but it seems that the finial reality may just be starting to it home as the start "Fighting like ferrets in a bag": https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fi ... spartanntp :wave:

macliam

Re: Financial Reality starts to hit home for the EU

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 16 2020 3:24pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Feb 16 2020 12:56pm
The EU project may have been great for the airy fairy idealists but it seems that the finial reality may just be starting to it home as the start "Fighting like ferrets in a bag": https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fi ... spartanntp :wave:
Umm, in your haste to post a negative comment about the EU, could you possibly try to check what you've written? ("the finial reality may just be starting to it home ")

Despite your triumphalist comment (nothing about "airy fairy idealists" written) The linked article is interesting, but hardly surprising. I don't think anyone suggested that the withdrawal of a net contributor, with the possibility that they even renege on past promises to fund agreed projects, would have no impact on the EU budget. I daresay you could write similar articles about cabinet meetings when the Chancellor wants to cut costs, or local council meetings in the face of ever-reducing government grants.

The main thing is, the EU meeting will conclude with a revised budget and they will move forward from that. Of course, they don't have to consider the costs of setting up new agencies to take the place of those no longer available to them or of negotiating trade deals with countries with whom they had deals last year, so who knows how it will balance out.

One thing's for sure, faced with economic uncertainty and increased costs, I doubt very much that the EU will be considering eye-watering spending on unproven (and unlikely) infrastructure projects. Bread and Circuses are not their bag.

Anyway, you're outside now, so what has it got to do with you?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Feb 16 2020 4:32pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Yes, that'll serve them right for kicking us out like that! Ha, bet they won't try that again.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Feb 17 2020 12:53am

macliam wrote:
Sun Feb 16 2020 3:24pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Umm, in your haste to post a negative comment about the EU, could you possibly try to check what you've written? ("the finial reality may just be starting to it home ")

Despite your triumphalist comment (nothing about "airy fairy idealists" written) The linked article is interesting, but hardly surprising. I don't think anyone suggested that the withdrawal of a net contributor, with the possibility that they even renege on past promises to fund agreed projects, would have no impact on the EU budget. I daresay you could write similar articles about cabinet meetings when the Chancellor wants to cut costs, or local council meetings in the face of ever-reducing government grants.

The main thing is, the EU meeting will conclude with a revised budget and they will move forward from that. Of course, they don't have to consider the costs of setting up new agencies to take the place of those no longer available to them or of negotiating trade deals with countries with whom they had deals last year, so who knows how it will balance out.

One thing's for sure, faced with economic uncertainty and increased costs, I doubt very much that the EU will be considering eye-watering spending on unproven (and unlikely) infrastructure projects. Bread and Circuses are not their bag.

Just proof of the point: Better off out of that circus!!!

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Feb 17 2020 12:57am

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Feb 16 2020 4:32pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Yes, that'll serve them right for kicking us out like that! Ha, bet they won't try that again.
I think you got that a little wrong; we decided to leave not be sacked... Still this sort of twist in reality is what I come to expect on here...

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 17 2020 1:14am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 12:53am
macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:

The usual meaningless riposte to anything contradicting an unproven claim..... :roll:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 17 2020 9:43am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 12:57am
Chadwick wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
I think you got that a little wrong; we decided to leave not be sacked... Still this sort of twist in reality is what I come to expect on here...
Again you cannot see how, in this case, Chadwick, meant it to be read. I could hear the tone of voice and see the body language so why can't you?
Thanked by: Chadwick
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Feb 17 2020 1:58pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 9:43am
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 12:57am
Chadwick wrote:

Again you cannot see how, in this case, Chadwick, meant it to be read. I could hear the tone of voice and see the body language so why can't you?
That's and easy one! Because sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and neither do I dwell or look in the gutter! :wave:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Feb 17 2020 2:00pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 1:14am
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Feb 17 2020 12:53am
macliam wrote:

The usual meaningless riposte to anything contradicting an unproven claim..... :roll:
From experience I know you react without thinking but I thought you did read the heading of the articles posted before commenting (or perhaps you read things in a way you just wanted to interpret them...?); as I said
"Better off out of the EU"
and that heading you missed in the article: "‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole" See: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fi ... spartanntp

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Feb 17 2020 2:28pm

Boro Boy throws a bucket of water into a shop as he leaves it and steps outside.
Water goes everywhere.
Shop staff trying to rescue stock and dry off customers.

Boro Boy says "Glad I don't shop there anymore - I'd have got soaked!"