Coronavirus/COVID-19

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
kevinchess1

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Mar 24 2020 3:28pm

Sunderland FC medical team have offered NHS the use of their trophy room.
They say it is a fit for purpose self isolation unit.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Mar 24 2020 4:21pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Mar 24 2020 3:28pm
Sunderland FC medical team have offered NHS the use of their trophy room.
They say it is a fit for purpose self isolation unit.
LOL.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Mar 24 2020 4:49pm

Hmm, seriously - somebody sent me this..... supposedly written by an immunologist at John Hopkins

"If you are feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don't understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an "all human" virus€. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it's a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn't human, and the human immune system doesn't recognize it so, we can't fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it's only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it's gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It's RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, "slippery"€

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a "human"€ virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That's why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it's a lung eater...And, it's already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain S, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it's hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you're unafraid is so not needed right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.
"
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Tue Mar 24 2020 6:37pm

we have all seen the thing doing the rounds where the doc says "I stayed at work for your sake, you should stay at home for my sake".

In some countries it could be "I stayed at work for you and now I'm dead, all because you did not stay at home"

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Mar 24 2020 7:02pm

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Mar 24 2020 9:44pm

There still seems to be a lot of confusion about this new virus. :!:
Most people don't know their SARS from their EBOLA. :)
Thanked by: macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Mar 25 2020 2:38am

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 25 2020 6:36am

Phoned a friend yesterday. He was just about to pay and get out of the taxi so would phone us back.

He is 72, 54in round the middle (we know as we bought a jacket online for him to go to a now postponed wedding) so morbidly obese. He has type 2 diabetes, mild asthma, has gone from heart problems to heart failure.

Why the taxi? Well his friend needed toilet rolls and he had plenty. He has always had a large stock because he gets bowel problems. Well if you are celiac and eat wheat stuff you will have bowel problems as well as raise your chances of getting cancer. His wife died of cancer aged 36 so he is terrified of getting it himself but...

Asked if the cleaner was still coming. Yes she came whilst he was out using the keysafe on the wall. When I said you know you must stay outside or be in a different room when she is there. Reply was "why".

Washing? Still going to nearby launderette where he pays for it to be done. He lives in bungalow in a "sheltered" housing complex and kitchen is so tiny there is only room for fridge freezer and you are supposed to use communal laundry area. He prefers nearby launderette.

So, yes, people are sticking to the new rules lol
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Mar 25 2020 9:21am

'Exercising once a day'

Is that compulsory :?:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 25 2020 9:37am

I start my exercises in bed

Well I have arthritis of the knee and have to do leg muscle strenthening exercises

What else did you think I meant? ;)
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler