Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by blythburgh » Sat Apr 18 2020 11:45am

expressman33 wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 11:39am
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 11:24am

I wonder how many of them are the Romanians who are coming here to pick the fruit and veg that are farmers are growing but unable to get many Brits to work for them.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11974364 "The Feed the Nation campaign is working to find farming jobs for the unemployed. So far it has had more than 33,000 applications of which 90% are British.

But it has only successfully placed 125 people in jobs so far."
I wonder how many people who start the jobs will stay the course once they find out how hard it is?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Apr 18 2020 12:57pm

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Apr 18 2020 3:55pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 11:45am
expressman33 wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 11:39am
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 11:24am

I wonder how many of them are the Romanians who are coming here to pick the fruit and veg that are farmers are growing but unable to get many Brits to work for them.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11974364 "The Feed the Nation campaign is working to find farming jobs for the unemployed. So far it has had more than 33,000 applications of which 90% are British.

But it has only successfully placed 125 people in jobs so far."
I wonder how many people who start the jobs will stay the course once they find out how hard it is?
I "worked the land" to make ends meet whilst at University and I can confirm that "working the land" is HARDwork.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Apr 18 2020 7:17pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Apr 01 2020 11:03am
Last night I received news that an old friend of mine is in ICU with COVID-19.
He had been taken inro hospital on Friday and tested, but the family had kept quiet until results were in.

His wife is stuck in their small flat in Camden, but her married son has moved in with her (self-isolating at present), leaving his own wife and sons in North London. The wife hasn't been tested, despite being in close contact... so now she and their son are potentials.

My friend is currently stable and on oxygen via a mask (I hope not due to a lack of respirators). Of course, nobody can visit him and the family only get a once a day update from the hospital.

This sh*t just got real.
My friend has now been awoken from an induced coma, is conscious and aware of his surroundings. He recognised his wife on the Doctor's phone during a call to tell her the news. 3 weeks in ICU, 11 days in an induced coma. Now he'll take time to recover.....

His wife described those who cared for him as "Angels" and the Doctor as "exceptional". How good they must feel for a positive oucome too! :thumbup:
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 18 2020 11:07pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Apr 14 2020 6:33pm
Well if you haven't had any bad news so far today, here is loads of it: https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacifi ... 2463152530 :o
More of the same from a different source: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... d=msedgntp

If this news is found to be true are we all doomed...!?!

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Apr 19 2020 4:40am

No, treatment of the viral-load could make the virus less deadly and improved treatment of the symptoms is already showing its efficacy. The apparent asymptomatic reaction of some people to the virus is also a key.

There are many ways to skin a cat..... unfortunately they all take time, so for now it's a waiting game.

StayAtHome
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Apr 19 2020 7:41am

macliam wrote:
Sat Apr 18 2020 7:17pm
macliam wrote:
Wed Apr 01 2020 11:03am
Last night I received news that an old friend of mine is in ICU with COVID-19.
He had been taken inro hospital on Friday and tested, but the family had kept quiet until results were in.

His wife is stuck in their small flat in Camden, but her married son has moved in with her (self-isolating at present), leaving his own wife and sons in North London. The wife hasn't been tested, despite being in close contact... so now she and their son are potentials.

My friend is currently stable and on oxygen via a mask (I hope not due to a lack of respirators). Of course, nobody can visit him and the family only get a once a day update from the hospital.

This sh*t just got real.
My friend has now been awoken from an induced coma, is conscious and aware of his surroundings. He recognised his wife on the Doctor's phone during a call to tell her the news. 3 weeks in ICU, 11 days in an induced coma. Now he'll take time to recover.....

His wife described those who cared for him as "Angels" and the Doctor as "exceptional". How good they must feel for a positive oucome too! :thumbup:
I am sure it has helped the staff at the hospital in an emotional/mental health way as well as wonderful news for his family and friends
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Apr 19 2020 7:56am

macliam wrote:
Sun Apr 19 2020 4:40am
No, treatment of the viral-load could make the virus less deadly and improved treatment of the symptoms is already showing its efficacy. The apparent asymptomatic reaction of some people to the virus is also a key.

There are many ways to skin a cat..... unfortunately they all take time, so for now it's a waiting game.

StayAtHome
Indeed, quiet simply wait it out.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Apr 20 2020 9:02am

Good news. Coronavirus: Plasma treatment to be trialled.
The UK is gearing up to use the blood of coronavirus survivors to treat hospital patients ill with the disease.

NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) wants people who recovered from Covid-19 to donate blood so they can potentially assess the therapy in trials.

The hope is that the antibodies they have built up will help to clear the virus in others.

The US has already started a major project to study this, involving more than 1,500 hospitals.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52348368

It's a step in the right direction and I'm pleased. For me, it highlights my concern that we, the UK, as a country are losing our cutting edge advantage. The Americans have "already started a major project to study this, involving more than 1,500 hospitals." And we are yet to start.

I'm not going to say the "B" word but whatever the root cause is, we as country, the UK, are falling behind whilst others are going into overdrive at Mach speeds.

I can't put into words my frustration at us losing our place in the world :thumbdown:

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Apr 20 2020 10:38am

The 22-year-old who has created a system to help secure supermarket home delivery slots
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-o ... Pgf23FajHo

https://shoppingslot.co.uk/