Royal Mail has cancelled all Saturday letter deliveries until further notice

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
expressman33

Royal Mail has cancelled all Saturday letter deliveries until further notice

Post by expressman33 » Tue Apr 28 2020 4:03pm

Saw this link on Facebook , nothing yet on Royal Mail website so not certain if it's true .
https://themanc.com/news/royal-mail-has ... Ckzn7qKTog
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Re: Royal Mail has cancelled all Saturday letter deliveries until further notice

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Apr 28 2020 4:17pm

Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: Royal Mail has cancelled all Saturday letter deliveries until further notice

Post by macliam » Tue Apr 28 2020 6:56pm

I smell a large rat here - it sounds a bit like bandwagon-jumping to me. How much will this save Royal Mail? Apart from in sorting offices, the posties job requires no social distancing, but a smaller rota requires less people, so it will be interesting to hear what the union has to say. Cutting a service that is already "paid for" is a cynical way to address any short-term issues they may have.

In many areas the impact of COVID-19 has been low, some are about to re-start green refuse collection and re-open recycling centres because the initial closures have proven unnecessary. Strange then, that the Royal Mail choose this time to announce a general cut in service.....
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Apr 28 2020 7:12pm

Maybe there's reduced mail volumes because of the virus and lockdown?

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Apr 29 2020 6:39am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Apr 28 2020 7:12pm
Presumably somewhat more dramatic for business districts than residential areas. Some people at home on lockdown are using this time to catch-up on paperwork, switching their banking or other services, etc. Most online shopping will be parcels, although some small items are delivered on foot with letters.

I've seen claims that post in some areas might already be unofficially delayed and delivered less frequently but I'd have to wonder if that's actually allowed under their obligations and don't see any evidence of it happening where I live. However TNS monitoring of Royal Mail stopped several weeks ago.

The cancellation of Saturday letter deliveries is of little concern for me whilst they continue to deliver letters on Mondays to Fridays and parcels on Saturdays. It would be pretty inconvenient if they dropped parcel deliveries on Saturdays too, the only day that those of us still working away from home can usually be there to receive them (especially as business post rooms may be running on reduced/minimal staffing and not handling non-business items anymore).

Now let's see if the CWU follows their criticism through to a strike ballot and if not whether the Saturday service ever resumes.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Richard Frost

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Apr 29 2020 7:38am

Sarah wrote:
Wed Apr 29 2020 6:39am
pabenny wrote:
Tue Apr 28 2020 7:12pm
Presumably somewhat more dramatic for business districts than residential areas. Some people at home on lockdown are using this time to catch-up on paperwork, switching their banking or other services, etc. Most online shopping will be parcels, although some small items are delivered on foot with letters.

I've seen claims that post in some areas might already be unofficially delayed and delivered less frequently but I'd have to wonder if that's actually allowed under their obligations and don't see any evidence of it happening where I live. However TNS monitoring of Royal Mail stopped several weeks ago.

The cancellation of Saturday letter deliveries is of little concern for me whilst they continue to deliver letters on Mondays to Fridays and parcels on Saturdays. It would be pretty inconvenient if they dropped parcel deliveries on Saturdays too, the only day that those of us still working away from home can usually be there to receive them (especially as business post rooms may be running on reduced/minimal staffing and not handling non-business items anymore).

Now let's see if the CWU follows their criticism through to a strike ballot and if not whether the Saturday service ever resumes.
+1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Apr 29 2020 10:50am

There are less letters. I base this on the fact that I am rarely getting junk mail at the moment (said with a beaming smile)

I really appreciate the work done by my Postmen. I have a feeling that some weeks it is a different man but could be wrong. I do recognise the dogs I see far, far more than the people out there, when I turn from computer screen to window to give eyes a rest
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Apr 29 2020 4:43pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Apr 29 2020 10:50am
There are less letters. I base this on the fact that I am rarely getting junk mail at the moment (said with a beaming smile)

I really appreciate the work done by my Postmen. I have a feeling that some weeks it is a different man but could be wrong. I do recognise the dogs I see far, far more than the people out there, when I turn from computer screen to window to give eyes a rest
I would advise you play free online "faces memory games". Recognising men and women is an essential life skill.

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Apr 29 2020 6:30pm

blythburgh wrote:
I have a feeling that some weeks it is a different man but could be wrong.
You are almost certainly correct. Our regular postman was assigned a new rota three years ago - it means that any one of a group will service a given area on a given day - we have never seen our postie since.

One result of this is that "Postcode Lottery" is no longer an online game.... it is the normal situation where your letters are delivered several doors away by someone unfamiliar with the area (and unable to read numbers, it seems). But, like withdrawing the Saturday service, it makes life simpler and cheaper for Royal Mail.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Apr 29 2020 7:01pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Apr 29 2020 6:30pm
blythburgh wrote:
I have a feeling that some weeks it is a different man but could be wrong.
You are almost certainly correct. Our regular postman was assigned a new rota three years ago - it means that any one of a group will service a given area on a given day - we have never seen our postie since.

One result of this is that "Postcode Lottery" is no longer an online game.... it is the normal situation where your letters are delivered several doors away by someone unfamiliar with the area (and unable to read numbers, it seems). But, like withdrawing the Saturday service, it makes life simpler and cheaper for Royal Mail.
My postie is wonderful, Royal Mail have very kindly also added a lovely lady (whom I keep an eye out for).