Best news in a while......

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Best news in a while......

Post by macliam » Mon May 04 2020 2:33pm

Some good news for a change.
Scientists have discovered a microbe in Africa that can stop mosquitoes from harbouring malaria.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52530828

Malaria kills 400,000 every year and leaves many others with continuing disabilities. The preventative medications can themselves have serious side-effects.

My grandfather still suffered from the effects of malaria 40 years after being infected during WW1 - he got a special pension because it was seen as "incurable".

It should be the top story and money should be pumped in to fund further research and trials........ but most of the victims are not in the West, so COVID-19 will overshadow it. Any backing by the WHO will be hampered by Trump's cut in funding by the USA. But, it's a first major step in the possible eradication of a deadly illness.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Re: Best news in a while......

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 04 2020 2:56pm

If this is correct it is great news!

Science is a wonderful thing and working out its complexities to the benefit of mankind is to be celebrated.

My Grandfather was an engineer who helped build the King George VI Dock: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/ev ... 1cf2da4104 in Singapore. Malaria devastated the remained of his life and finally finished him off some years later. It is a terrible disease, it kept coming back in waves year after year beating him down each time and finally he just gave up.

Any cure for this would be a remarkable step on the scale on landing a man on the moon, if not bigger!
Thanked by: macliam, Chadwick

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 04 2020 3:40pm

For once we agree..... it would be as great an achievement as the eradication of smallpox..... and even better if it can be achieved without having to rely on innoculation and "herd immunity".
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon May 04 2020 5:42pm

Here's me hoping for more positive news in the near future.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]