Shame on you Morrisons

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Shame on you Morrisons

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 14 2020 10:27am

A local community group leader responded to the lockdown by getting a group of volunteers to do shopping, pick up medicines or just chat on the phone. The whole of our area received a leaflet, no mean feat for a group of volunteers.

Originally they could show a letter and be let in Morrisons between 9 and 10 in the morning along with disabled people and key workers. So far less of a queue for them as they were usually shopping for more than one person at the same time.

Now things are changed as set out in the FB post below:

As I mentioned in my last post, the continuing success of our community helpline is down to the remarkable dedication of our band of volunteers.

A large proportion of requests have been to do shopping, and because of the handy location, most of these shops (around 400) have been done at Morrison's on the Gisleham trading estate. Initially, the volunteers were able to use the 9-10 am slot set aside for key workers etc but this was changed a few weeks back to the very early morning slot 6-7 am. We could not possibly ask our volunteers for such an early start, and so I approached the management to see if there was a possibility of our shoppers avoiding the long queues to enable them to do more than one shop, hence cutting down on possible 'exposure' time. This request was declined and so now they have to join sometimes very lengthy queues.

The reason given for declining my request, was for the fear of upsetting other customers by letting volunteers to the front of the queue!

I look forward to reading your comments.

Why the 9 to 10 shop changed to a 6 to 7 ones beats me. Or just let these amazingly kind hearted people jump the queue?
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler