So where is the line to be drawn...?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

So where is the line to be drawn...?

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 10 2020 2:07pm

Some may be confused, was Gone with the Wind an historical novel/film depicting a fictional story but showing a realistic historical background or was it merely promoting racism?

We run the risk of attempting to blank off periods of history and that never ends well... https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 57781.html :silent:
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

macliam

Re: So where is the line to be drawn...?

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 10 2020 2:48pm

For once I agree with you.... I'm uneasy at these knee-jerk reactions. Whilst I understand the issues with some historical personalities or representations, they happened, they just need to be contextualised. Criticising someone for investing in a company that supported the slave trade is a bit off, when nobody saw the issue at the time and it was simply a standard business practice. Should we seek out all those who have made money from investment in Tobacco firms, or Drinks companies - shall we remove Churchill, Drake, Raleigh, etc. from history because of their dubious episodes?

Any context also needs to consider the plight of indentured servants and transported criminals during this same period - whilst these were not "slaves" as their servitude was time-limited, it made little difference for many who did not survive - so the concepts of "freedom" were very different back then. I'm also concerned that noody seems to criticise the part played by other blacks or arabs in the slave trade - many slaves were sold on as slaves having been captured in raids or wars with their local rivals or arab slave dealers who had existed for centuries.

None of this in any way lessens my condemnation of slavery ..... but it does suggest that the phrase "Hindsight is 20:20" has never been more accurate.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jun 10 2020 3:25pm

They continued: “These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

“If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”
It seems to me that HBO max are being very responsible in their attitude towards this. They are withdrawing it only until they are able to contextualise it and present it in the way it was originally intended.

Generally speaking though I am on the side of allowing these things to continue, with where necessary explanations and some movement perhaps to museums. Where objects can be presented and explained.

I do not think history can/should be erased. It should be presented in a way that explains and enables people to learn and grow.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 10 2020 5:43pm

Understand but aren't adverts like the following promoting racism?: https://www.etsy.com/featured/blackowne ... dium=email :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 10 2020 7:45pm

If you look hard enough, you can take offence at any film. I remember the fuss over Dambusters because of the dogs name.

In USA there's a lot of pressure to not sure films that normalise drugs and smoking. But people want theses films to also be realistic!

How long before 'Jaws; is black listed by Peta because it portrays Great white sharks in a bad light
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 10 2020 7:46pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 10 2020 5:43pm
Understand but aren't adverts like the following promoting racism?: https://www.etsy.com/featured/blackowne ... dium=email :think:
No, because blacks cant be racist.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 10 2020 7:49pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10 2020 7:46pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 10 2020 5:43pm
No, because blacks cant be racist.
??? :think:

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 10 2020 9:07pm

Just wait till someone stumbles across ‘Family Guy.’

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 11 2020 12:09am

So HBO withdraw Gone with the Wind because of the racist and demeaning portrayal of Black people as slaves...!

It's good job HBO do not publish the Bible... think about it!!! :think:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Jun 11 2020 7:38am

Look at this a different way:

There are many things from fiction or historical commemorations that jar with today's prevailing standards. When's it right to let them pass and when should we censor (or censure) them? I note, for instance, that archive TV featuring Jimmy Saville or Rolf Harris is never broadcast and Gary Glitter records are never on the radio.

With emotions running high in the US about racial injustice, perhaps a temporary withdrawal of GtW is a prudent gesture.