Chancellor Rishi Sunak Does It Again

Money, investing, mutuals etc
BeautifulSunshine

Chancellor Rishi Sunak Does It Again

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jul 08 2020 6:58pm

The UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak has done it again. Bold, well-thought out and narrowly targeted financial aid to the sector of the economy most affected by Covid-19.

Well done Chancellor Rishi Sunak.
Government to offer 50% off discounts on eating out in August

Callum Mason, News Reporter
8 July 2020

The Government will launch an 'eat out to help out' discount scheme in August, giving people across the UK a 50% discount – capped at £10 per person – on meals at many restaurants, cafes and pubs.

In his economic statement to Parliament on Wednesday, the Chancellor Rishi Sunak said the scheme would run from Monday to Wednesday each week at participating businesses.

Sunak also said he would cut VAT from 20% to 5% for the hospitality and tourism sectors from Wednesday 15 July until 12 January 2021, as part of the Government's drive to restart the economy during the coronavirus pandemic.

For all the best discounts, vouchers and meal deals when eating out, see our Restaurant Deals & Vouchers page. Plus for more news from the Chancellor's statement today, see our Stamp duty cut until next April MSE News story.

How will the 'eat out to help out' scheme work?
Here's what we know about how the scheme will work so far:

You'll be able to get a 50% discount on sit-down meals and non-alcoholic drinks if you're eating in. The total amount you get off the bill will be capped at £10 per person, per meal. Takeaways won't be discounted.

You'll only be able to get the discount at participating restaurants, cafes and pubs. Firms can apply to be part of the scheme, and the Government says a full list of those participating will be published on its website in due course. We've asked several major eateries and pub chains whether they plan to take part and will update this story as we hear back from them.

The discount will apply on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It'll run throughout August.

You'll be able to use the discount as many times as you want. There's no limit.

The discount will be applied automatically when you pay. So you won't need to do anything to get it – the restaurant, cafe or pub will simply apply the reduction, then claim the cost back from the Government.

Crucially, you WILL be able to use the discount in conjunction with other vouchers. This is important, particularly because many restaurants already offer discounts early in the week. The Government discount will be applied after the other vouchers – so if you use a restaurant voucher, you'll get a 50% discount on the already-discounted price.
Source:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... in-august/
Thanked by: blythburgh, planteria
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Sarah

Re: Chancellor Rishi Sunak Does It Again

Post by Sarah » Wed Jul 08 2020 7:22pm

How much longer do we have to wait for his leadership bid?
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jul 08 2020 7:44pm

Sarah wrote:
Wed Jul 08 2020 7:22pm
I don't know but Rishi seems like the kind of guy who would give the proposition very long hard thought.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jul 08 2020 7:46pm

He is doing no more than he needs to do, just the bare minimum he has to do in order to attempt to get the economy going again. I prefer to reserve my judgement for the future and see what he does when the time comes to get the money in again. Austerity/taxes up, we will see. Chancellors are always popular when they are giving away.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jul 08 2020 9:17pm

These sound like well-targeted measures. I've not yet looked into it any further than the headlines.
I wonder if he's going to announce that NHS staff will continue to 'enjoy' free parking while they are being persuaded to drive instead of using public transport.

fattulip74

Post by fattulip74 » Wed Jul 08 2020 9:43pm

All the talk before hand was were looking at a new deal, he's given us a meal deal.
Money could have been spent on building more social housing which would have been a big jobs boost rather than the cut to stamp duty in my opinion, a big opportunity wasted.
I too will reserve judgement until I see how he's going to play the paying for all this cards later on.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jul 09 2020 7:52am

I agree about building social housing but as one Lady said on the radio (well this is the gist of it "As a shopkeeper I want people to come out. If they come into town for a meal then they will come into our shops."
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Jul 09 2020 8:12am

Time will tell.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Jul 09 2020 6:20pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Wed Jul 08 2020 7:44pm
Sarah wrote:
I don't know but Rishi seems like the kind of guy who would give the proposition very long hard thought.
I think he's probably ahead of you. Notice how often he's using "I" instead of "we" when speaking. Look at the Tory machine using his name and signature on their press releases and posters for popular policies. His brand is rising and whilst things certainly can change, he seems likely to be a strong contender once enough COVID-19 and Brexit mud has stuck to Johnson.
Thanked by: blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Jul 09 2020 6:59pm

Sarah wrote:
Thu Jul 09 2020 6:20pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Wed Jul 08 2020 7:44pm
Sarah wrote:
I think he's probably ahead of you. Notice how often he's using "I" instead of "we" when speaking. Look at the Tory machine using his name and signature on their press releases and posters for popular policies. His brand is rising and whilst things certainly can change, he seems likely to be a strong contender once enough COVID-19 and Brexit mud has stuck to Johnson.
Hmm, interesting point.

I shall think about that one.