Mr Nice Guy let his real face show for once

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Mr Nice Guy let his real face show for once

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jul 17 2020 10:14am

The Parliamentary Committees are independent of the Govt and they should have no say in who is the Chair of the Committees. But one of the most important with 9 members, the 5 Tories were chosen as they were ultra loyalists who would say "yes sir, which way do you want me to vote" people. And it was made publicly plain that the failure as a Cabinet Minister, Chris Grayling would be the new chair.

Shock horror one of those yes men stood against Grayling and everyone who was not standing or a member of the Tory Party voted for him.

So does Johnson say "I am angry but it was the decision of the Committee"? Of course not this nasty and pettty minded man strips Julian Lewis of his party membership. No longer able to go to Tory MP group meetings like the 1922 Committee. No longer able to stand as the official party candidate in the next election. He is treated like a pariah after 23 loyal service to the party as an MP.

And it matters who is chair of this committee. To quote from The Independent: Unlike a normal parliamentary committee, the intelligence and security committee is established in law with the purpose of holding the government to account on how it runs MI5, MI6, GCHQ, and its other intelligence agencies. It was first set up in 1994 and had its powers expanded in 2013.

How can it hold the Govt to account if a Govt. stooge is in the chair?

Johnson has spent many years showing the public a fake personna but the mask has slipped showing a side to the real man he carefully has hidden from the public.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Mr Nice Guy let his real face show for once

Post by macliam » Fri Jul 17 2020 12:36pm

I agree with your assessment of the attempted manipulation of the committee process, but I disagree that this is anything new from a government that has shown itself as authoritarian and unwilling to accept criticism.

The "sacking" of long-standing MPs who opposed Johnson, the stuffing of the cabinet with poorly qualified yes-men, the hounding of civil servants who criticise Government policy, the rejection of any criticism of Johnson loyalists, the suppression of reports, the attempts to introduce legislation without full debate.... this is just the latest attempt to ensure that the levers of power lies in Johnson apparatchiks only and to stifle any opposition.

Johnson' s majority hs given him, or his unelected puppet-master, the opportunity to run roughshod over accepted parliamentary democracy.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jul 19 2020 11:07am

I don't know what's worse.

That Johnson so clearly tried to rig the appointment of the chairperson.
Or that he will get away with it.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 19 2020 11:48am

I think the latter.

It is like Priti Patel's vindictive temper tantrums, like Cummings' obvious breaking of multiple rules, like Hancock's repeated failures during the Covid crisis, like Jenrick's clear manipulation of the planning system, like Rees-Mogg's attempted muzzling of parliamentary debate..... and all the other examples of Johnson's disdain for anyone who disagrees with him. The actions are bad enough, but the fact nobody is held responsible for them is far, far worse.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Sun Jul 19 2020 4:32pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Jul 19 2020 11:48am
I think the latter.

It is like Priti Patel's vindictive temper tantrums, like Cummings' obvious breaking of multiple rules, like Hancock's repeated failures during the Covid crisis, like Jenrick's clear manipulation of the planning system, like Rees-Mogg's attempted muzzling of parliamentary debate..... and all the other examples of Johnson's disdain for anyone who disagrees with him. The actions are bad enough, but the fact nobody is held responsible for them is far, far worse.
At least Labour have gone from a basically nice and decent but unelectable leader to one who can take on Johnson at PMQ's and beyond.