China and the Uighurs

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Richard Frost

China and the Uighurs

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jul 20 2020 6:20pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asi ... of-uighurs

We have to protest most strongly regarding the attitude of China towards this minority group. I strongly feel that this is similar to the Nazi behaviour in the 2nd world war. The only difference is there are no gas chambers (that we are aware of).

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh

macliam

Re: China and the Uighurs

Post by macliam » Mon Jul 20 2020 6:54pm

This has been going on for a long time..... and is nothing new. The Han chinese have been expanding into other areas of China and suppressing local autonomy for centuries and more recently, attempting to suppress local languages in favour of Mandarin - even amongst other Han who speak their own dialects, calling them "barbarian speech". It must be a frustration to Beijing that not everyone looks, acts and speaks the same way, so Cantonese has been under pressure in Hong Kong and Macau, as has any sense of regional independence. The Uyghurs have the added issue of being muslim and ethnically different to the Han - so China has been able to use the excuse of seperatist actions to force the Uyghurs to conform to Beijing's standards.

The use of "re-education centres" is well known, but China will accept no criticism of its "internal affairs" and contrives to hide their actions from the outside world. The "new" China seems expansionist and aggressive - so the impact of external censure seems unlikely to make any fundamental difference... only something that directly impacts the central government will cause them to take note. That will mean reducing the trade imbalance with China (even using Chinese manufacturing) and suffering the consequential damage - and it's likely that western manufacturers will, at best, look for somewhere else to gain access to cheap labour.... just moving the same issue elsewhere.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 21 2020 7:25am

At last our Govt. has stood up to China. Still allowing them to be involved in building our new nuclear power stations. They will become expensive white elephants of course but everyone who uses electricity will end up paying through the nose for them. If the 5G network involving China is a security risk then why isn't out power supply?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jul 21 2020 3:48pm

Allowing China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) ​​​​​​​to build a power station to their own design at Bradwell was part of the agreement for them part-financing the Hinkley Point power station when EDF "partnered" with them.... this is some £7bn. Then there is the proposed power station at Sizewell, even closer to home.... CGN have a 20% stake there too.... and we have been living with the groundwork to bury new cables to the site across Suffolk for years now....

This when the agreed prices per megawatt for nuclear power exceed that for green energy. We are looking to build when others are busy closing down these projects. If anyone wants to see the stupidity of Nuclear Power when alternatives are available, look at the Sizewell site.... this will be the third reactor because the other two are still there, just mothballed because they can't be demolished!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Tue Jul 21 2020 7:15pm

Sizewell B is still in use and the next power station to be built there will ruin RSPB Minsmere, one of their most important crown jewels which brings in many millions of pounds to the local economy.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jul 22 2020 9:17am

But Mr Lynch added that the two countries should be able to "sustain robust trade and investment in the coming months despite the challenging political environment".
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53468925

Once the playing politics is over the UK and China will carry on prospering together.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]