John Hume

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

John Hume

Post by macliam » Mon Aug 03 2020 1:44pm

John Hume, former leader of the SDLP Nobel Prize winner has died after many years suffering with dementia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44753271

A proud Derryman and a great advocate of civil rights and opponent of the toxic tribalism of politics in NI, he was criticised by Unionists for his nationalism and Republicans for his pacifism. His politics intensified after the events of Bloody Sunday and he played a huge role in the change in republican activities, working tirelessly towards an end to the troubles that had dogged his entire career.

He headed a party that reflected a less aggressive form of nationalism - a party that has seen its influence diminish in the polarized atmosphere of post-GFA politics, but whose influence is still felt. In 2010 he was voted "Ireland's Greatest" in a poll on RTÉ and he was made a Knight Commander of the order of St.Gregory.

The dementia which first manifested itself in the late 1990s led to his complete withdrawal from politics in 2004. Unfortunately, by 2018, this had progressed to a stage where he no longer remembered the role he had played in bringing peace to his community.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

pakefield

Re: John Hume

Post by pakefield » Mon Aug 03 2020 6:45pm

I did not realise dementia had robbed this great man of his life so his passing is a blessing in many ways. But he was one of the greatest people the whole of Ireland has ever produced.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 04 2020 8:48am

One of the greatest people of any century let alone a great Irishman. I can not mourn his passing now, but his having to leave the public arena far too early due to this most awful of diseases. His family have had to suffer losing him bit by bit and now they can grieve for the last time
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Aug 04 2020 1:07pm

RIP

I'll say a prayer
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Aug 05 2020 9:21am

RIP.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]