French propose aborion law changes.

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: French propose aborion law changes.

Post by pabenny » Sun Sep 06 2020 9:26am

I spent a while searching online for Woman's Hour coverage of pro-life. I found a very sympathetic piece featuring a protester and nothing where that side was disdained.

Fetus. Yes that's the correct term for an unborn offspring. It's only a baby once born.

Yes, it is extreme to argue that 'it's nothing to do with the father'. But if the father isn't present, isn't committed to the relationship, isn't committed to being a father, then, yes, he has foregone entitlement to a say in the decision. On the other hand, a relationship where a woman has a termination without the involvement of her partner in the decision is disfunctional.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Sep 07 2020 7:42am

pabenny wrote:
Sun Sep 06 2020 9:26am
I spent a while searching online for Woman's Hour coverage of pro-life. I found a very sympathetic piece featuring a protester and nothing where that side was disdained.

Fetus. Yes that's the correct term for an unborn offspring. It's only a baby once born.

Yes, it is extreme to argue that 'it's nothing to do with the father'. But if the father isn't present, isn't committed to the relationship, isn't committed to being a father, then, yes, he has foregone entitlement to a say in the decision. On the other hand, a relationship where a woman has a termination without the involvement of her partner in the decision is disfunctional.
Women usually say baby and medicos say fetus. And I am a regular Woman's Hour listener and I have not changed my views on how they see things.

But I normally choose not to bring up my views on abortion. Every abortion is a decision that was arrived at for different decisions. And many of them came after a lot of soul searching and was all too often a decision the woman would have preferred not to have to take. I have no wish to cause upset to any woman. Nothing is ever black and white.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Sep 07 2020 9:34am

If you say baby instead of fetus in a discussion about the rights and wrongs of abortion then it immediately flags you as an anti-abortionist.
Thanked by: blythburgh

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Sep 07 2020 2:59pm

Sarah wrote:
Mon Sep 07 2020 9:34am
If you say baby instead of fetus in a discussion about the rights and wrongs of abortion then it immediately flags you as an anti-abortionist.
AND
if you say 'Fetus and/or 'collection of cells' it usually flags you up as ProChoice.
Last edited by kevinchess1 on Mon Sep 07 2020 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Sep 07 2020 3:03pm

pabenny wrote:
Sat Sep 05 2020 12:11pm
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Sep 05 2020 10:06am
But I am unhappy the way abortion is pushed as an easy option...
Is it?

Admittedly I'm not now in the prime demographic, but I've never seen abortion "pushed" anywhere.
Can't agree with that.
When the NI was suspended there was a big push by 'Pro Choice' to pushed the country in line with our laws on abortion.
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 07 2020 3:17pm

I know the UK is likely to follow the USA slavishly in this new age..... but it still retains correct spelling.

The word is Foetus, not "fetus", because outside of the USA people actually learn how to pronounce things without spellings being simplified.

Or should we now be talking liter, color, labor, etc?
Thanked by: xrppzi, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 07 2020 3:23pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07 2020 3:03pm
pabenny wrote:
Sat Sep 05 2020 12:11pm
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Sep 05 2020 10:06am
But I am unhappy the way abortion is pushed as an easy option...
Is it?

Admittedly I'm not now in the prime demographic, but I've never seen abortion "pushed" anywhere.
Can't agree with that.
When the NI was suspended there was a big push by 'Pro Choice' to pushed the country in line with our laws on abortion.
Nope. The push was to get a decision made... rather than all discussion being stifled by the Unionists.
The change brought NI into line with the RoUK, but the rules can be changed by the NI Assembly.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Sep 07 2020 5:31pm

There is a considerable difference between pushing for a change in legislation (to legalise abortion) and promoting abortion.

Especially once abortion was legalised in the Republic, the ban in NI was increasingly pointless. Those with the money to travel could get an abortion whilst the poorest and most desperate could not.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Sep 08 2020 10:07am

macliam wrote:
Mon Sep 07 2020 3:17pm
I know the UK is likely to follow the USA slavishly in this new age..... but it still retains correct spelling.

The word is Foetus, not "fetus", because outside of the USA people actually learn how to pronounce things without spellings being simplified.

Or should we now be talking liter, color, labor, etc?
I am sorry I was not awake and my mind could not work out if I had spelt it correctly and fallen foul of the spellchecker being in American mode or mispelt it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Sep 08 2020 10:09am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Sep 07 2020 5:31pm
There is a considerable difference between pushing for a change in legislation (to legalise abortion) and promoting abortion.

Especially once abortion was legalised in the Republic, the ban in NI was increasingly pointless. Those with the money to travel could get an abortion whilst the poorest and most desperate could not.
Was ever thus, pre the David Steel bill if you were rich enough you could get a legal abortion