Poll results I find shocking

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Poll results I find shocking

Post by Chadwick » Tue Oct 20 2020 1:17pm

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Oct 20 2020 8:34am
Sarah wrote:
Mon Oct 19 2020 9:28am
I doubt that happens to many items from Amazon (for example); they're not exactly a company known for wasteful behaviours... returned "open box" goods are commonly resold through their warehouse and they often advise customers to keep items that aren't economic to return/resell.
Clothes are the items most often returned. Buy 6 items, try on all, buy one send back five is more common than you would think. Too many people use internet shopping for clothes like they would a shop. But the difference is they are packaged and not off a hanger. So very difficult for firm to resell at a decent profit margin.
Not at all. Very easy to repack clothes. It happens whenever the labels are changed, so it's a standard part of the supply chain.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Oct 21 2020 12:01am

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Oct 20 2020 1:17pm
blythburgh wrote:
Sarah wrote:
I doubt that happens to many items from Amazon (for example); they're not exactly a company known for wasteful behaviours... returned "open box" goods are commonly resold through their warehouse and they often advise customers to keep items that aren't economic to return/resell.
Clothes are the items most often returned. Buy 6 items, try on all, buy one send back five is more common than you would think. Too many people use internet shopping for clothes like they would a shop. But the difference is they are packaged and not off a hanger. So very difficult for firm to resell at a decent profit margin.
Not at all. Very easy to repack clothes. It happens whenever the labels are changed, so it's a standard part of the supply chain.
I didn't know that.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 21 2020 7:36am

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Buut how often does it happen? https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/?article= ... n-landfill
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Oct 21 2020 2:30pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Oct 21 2020 7:36am
Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:

Buut how often does it happen? https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/?article= ... n-landfill
As the article says, it does depend on the mindset of the company, how easy it is to repack the product, and whether the volume justifies it financially.
I have worked in a sports goods warehouse where we would routinely resize shoes by 1/2 a size to meet demand, and this required a relabel and repack service. Some of the bigger chains (and groups of multiple-chains) will have dedicated facilities to relabel and repack stock. There are also 3rd parties that will handle returns for a number of clients. A lot rides on the value of the product - if it can be sold at a high margin, it is worth trying to get it back on the shop floor. If it's low margin, high volume product, it's probably more efficient to just bin it.