Vaccine

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Vaccine

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 11 2021 10:57am

kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Jan 10 2021 8:21pm
I'll take it when it's offer to me
I'm not worried if it's safe because it is.
But I don't feel that some of these claims for High percentages protection are optimistic.
I'm completely against Compulsory vacs, if you don't want it then don't have it.
But then don't be complaining about 'persistent lock down and/or 'Economic collapse' or 'High mortality rate in this country
I second this
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Jan 11 2021 3:28pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Dec 06 2020 1:30pm
I won't be rushing.

With several alternatives in the offing, I certainly won't be volunteering for the first one available.

I will wait until there is a more general consensus on the relative merits and the counter-indications.
Macliam 'What vaccine did you get? OH that's great. Me? I had the Oxford one. Everyone in my family had it so I thought why not me? Just didn't wanna settle for the Pfizer one, not that's there anything wrong with it, probably okay I guess. Not that other vaccines are worse but thus one give your immune system a bit if a foundation to work with.'
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 12 2021 9:32am

I will have the one I am offered. Do not want to add to the overburdened admin staff by saying I will wait until I can have that one as I prefer it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jan 13 2021 8:09pm

Whichever vaccine you get, they're probably all just a temporary measure.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that they reduce the effect the virus has on you (ie. you're less ill) but we don't know yet if they prevent you from passing it on to someone else.
Ideally, we need the vaccine to kill the virus quickly so you can't pass it on. That breaks the chain of transmission and stops outbreaks. Currently there's up to a week when you've got it and you're spreading it but you're not suffering yourself. If the current crop of vaccines basically enable that to continue, then we will need to develop more powerful vaccines.

But in the meantime, these vaccines buy us time and, once we reach a "herd immunity" type level of vaccination, we should also be able to take off the masks. The only people at risk will be the very vulnerable, and the people who can't be vaccinated (who have to take precautions on a daily basis anyway against existing viruses like flu), and those who refused the vaccine - who will have to suffer the consequences of their choice.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jan 14 2021 10:15am

kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon Jan 11 2021 3:28pm
Macliam 'What vaccine did you get? OH that's great. Me? I had the Oxford one. Everyone in my family had it so I thought why not me? Just didn't wanna settle for the Pfizer one, not that's there anything wrong with it, probably okay I guess. Not that other vaccines are worse but thus one give your immune system a bit if a foundation to work with.'
At the mo, I'm more concerned with ever being able to travel...... full lockdown about to start here (because tranmission rates are up, but still far below UK average), negative test results required to board plane to UK (now it's a "third country") and the only UK flight from Faro yesterday was cancelled!
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jan 14 2021 10:58am

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jan 13 2021 8:09pm

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that they reduce the effect the virus has on you (ie. you're less ill) but we don't know yet if they prevent you from passing it on to someone else.
Ideally, we need the vaccine to kill the virus quickly so you can't pass it on. That breaks the chain of transmission and stops outbreaks. Currently there's up to a week when you've got it and you're spreading it but you're not suffering yourself. If the current crop of vaccines basically enable that to continue, then we will need to develop more powerful vaccines.

But in the meantime, these vaccines buy us time and, once we reach a "herd immunity" type level of vaccination, we should also be able to take off the masks. The only people at risk will be the very vulnerable, and the people who can't be vaccinated (who have to take precautions on a daily basis anyway against existing viruses like flu), and those who refused the vaccine - who will have to suffer the consequences of their choice.
I think you're mistaken. The whole idea of a vaccine is that it prevents infection, either by preventing a virus from taking hold or by training the immune system to recognize and destroy a virus - so there should be no infection, no multipliation of the virus and hence no chance to pass it on..... all being well. The issue is that a virus might mutate and render a vaccine less effective, or any immunity may be short-lived, etc. So the problem is not so much with those who have been vaccinated still becoming infected, but with the target virus changing before any form of "herd immunity" is established.... or simply the "Forth Bridge" scenario, where a continual need to re-vaccinate makes it a logistical nightmare.

The situation with the anuual flu vaccine is a case in point - it has to change to preempt the requirements for a new strain of the virus.... and it doesn't "stop" flu, it just offers some protection to those at risk.
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Jan 14 2021 4:17pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Jan 14 2021 10:15am
kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon Jan 11 2021 3:28pm
At the mo, I'm more concerned with ever being able to travel...... full lockdown about to start here (because tranmission rates are up, but still far below UK average), negative test results required to board plane to UK (now it's a "third country") and the only UK flight from Faro yesterday was cancelled!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55666198

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Jan 14 2021 9:15pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Jan 14 2021 10:58am
Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jan 13 2021 8:09pm

I think you're mistaken. The whole idea of a vaccine is that it prevents infection, either by preventing a virus from taking hold or by training the immune system to recognize and destroy a virus - so there should be no infection, no multipliation of the virus and hence no chance to pass it on..... all being well. The issue is that a virus might mutate and render a vaccine less effective, or any immunity may be short-lived, etc. So the problem is not so much with those who have been vaccinated still becoming infected, but with the target virus changing before any form of "herd immunity" is established.... or simply the "Forth Bridge" scenario, where a continual need to re-vaccinate makes it a logistical nightmare.

The situation with the anuual flu vaccine is a case in point - it has to change to preempt the requirements for a new strain of the virus.... and it doesn't "stop" flu, it just offers some protection to those at risk.
As I understand it, we don't yet know whether these vaccines will stop you infecting someone else. Presumably at some point you recover and you you're not a permanent carrier, so I guess it's a question of how quickly the antibodies can kill the virus.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Jan 14 2021 10:43pm

Pimlico Plumbers to introduce ‘no vaccine jab, no job’ work requirement https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/piml ... 97162.html

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Jan 14 2021 10:59pm

As the vaccine is currently not available to everyone. I suspect in the short term Charlie Mullins will experience a dearth of plumbers.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1