Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 14 2021 7:44am

By the way we have forgotten Ghana is a big supplier of fair trade cocoa beans. I only eat fair trade chocolate, preferably a bar of Divine or Co-op chocolate. But that is going to cost us all more and hit the growers co-operative who grow the cocoa beans.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jan 15 2021 10:34am

Up to £1million/day of fishing produce rotting in harbours because of Brexit export difficulties and the govt now talking about paying compensation. Did any tail ever wag the dog more than the fishing industry? Actually, the PM may be stretching the truth here too anyway, as reporting on Newsnight yesterday suggested the assistance might in fact be previously announced investment and arrive too late for some smaller businesses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-55662165
Thanked by: pakefield

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Fri Jan 15 2021 10:44am

Sarah wrote:
Fri Jan 15 2021 10:34am
Up to £1million/day of fishing produce rotting in harbours because of Brexit export difficulties and the govt now talking about paying compensation. Did any tail ever wag the dog more than the fishing industry? Actually, the PM may be stretching the truth here too anyway, as reporting on Newsnight yesterday suggested the assistance might in fact be previously announced investment and arrive too late for some smaller businesses.

Not sure how much support there was amongst Scottish fishermen for Brexit but south of the border they wanted it. Now many feel they were better off in the EU

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Jan 15 2021 5:27pm

So there are a few teething troubles. It's worth it to have Taken Back Control.

And anyway, the government did tell businesses to Prepare.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jan 15 2021 9:42pm

pabenny wrote:
Fri Jan 15 2021 5:27pm
So there are a few teething troubles. It's worth it to have Taken Back Control.

And anyway, the government did tell businesses to Prepare.
Absolutely. They gave them a week over Christmas to change their import/export procedures and if necessary source new products. I don't know what they're moaning about.

mike

Post by mike » Sat Jan 16 2021 10:40am

Sarah wrote:
Fri Jan 15 2021 10:34am

So only £343m a week left for the NHS - These fish are rotting from the head (of the government)

The economy, environment, several industries (touring creative industry, the city of London, UK based international retailers) and soon workers rights are all being sacrificed for the dream of unifying the tory party. Even though they threw out anyone with a brain cell, they now still seem to be unduly influenced by the lunatic fringe, the covid denying wing - the CRG - the renamed ERG. I am still waiting to see a single benefit

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Jan 16 2021 11:38am

mike wrote:
Sat Jan 16 2021 10:40am
I am still waiting to see a single benefit
We've Taken Back Control.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Jan 17 2021 7:48am

pabenny wrote:
Sat Jan 16 2021 11:38am
mike wrote:
I would like a Brexiteer to explain what Control we have taken back that will help every British person. I mean other than making it easier for the very rich to avoid paying so much tax, the loss of some workers rights, the farmers right to now kill bees with an EU banned pesticide.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jan 17 2021 5:21pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 7:48am
pabenny wrote:
mike wrote:
I would like a Brexiteer to explain what Control we have taken back that will help every British person. I mean other than making it easier for the very rich to avoid paying so much tax, the loss of some workers rights, the farmers right to now kill bees with an EU banned pesticide.
We've taken back the control to close our borders at a moment's notice and not let anyone in or out.
Like the French did recently.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 18 2021 9:44am

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 5:21pm
blythburgh wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 7:48am
pabenny wrote:

We've taken back the control to close our borders at a moment's notice and not let anyone in or out.
Like the French did recently.
I did not realise that France had also left the EU. Would not have been able to close borders if still in surely