Will you mask up after Monday aka Freedom day

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Will you mask up after Monday aka Freedom day

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 21 2021 9:22am

rayf wrote:
Tue Jul 20 2021 1:30pm
masks for me especially in shops and on public transport - I will boycott any shops that allow people without masks
I would agree about boycotting chains that allow people to enter without masks. But if you are a small shopkeeper it is hard to turn people away as your overheads are high and you have suffered during the lockdown.

I was in our corner shop a few months ago, queuing socially distanced but close enough to hear.

Owner to young man in a mask "Sorry you must wear a mask" and offered to give him one for free. "I only want one thing I will not be long." The shopkeeper apologised but said it was the law to wear a mask. Young man refused to mask up and would rather go without than wear a mask.

So a sale was lost and that young man may will shop there a lot less in the future. It is so unfair of the Govt. to say "you are now longer have to wear a mask but we wish you would." And letting shop owners and their staff have to face the wrath of those who hate masks as much as I do. It was so horrible in Tesco on Monday. My face was hot and it was harder to breathe. Getting out of there and removing my mask was a wonderful experience
Thanked by: Kelantan, Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jul 21 2021 10:35am

Visited 3 supermarkets yesterday; didn't notice much change really, still a majority of customers wearing face coverings. Some of the less effective/low compliance measures such as floor markings and 1-way systems have gone. I heard that Sainsbury's have removed perspex screens, whilst Tesco have kept theirs (haven't yet visited a Sainsbury's branch and seen this for myself).
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 21 2021 6:33pm

Morrisons removed the trolley cleaning stations a few weeks back. But they still tell me the lie that the trolleys are cleaned and ready for me. I pull out the trolley someone else has put back and I cannot clean it. And at the same time they stopped the in one door and out the other. Now we can come and go in either door.

Tesco is the safest place if Sainsburys have put staff at risk by removing perspex screens
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Thu Jul 22 2021 8:43am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jul 21 2021 6:33pm
Morrisons removed the trolley cleaning stations a few weeks back.
A sweeping statement that is obviously not true as our Morrisons still has all cleaning stations available. Could be down to individual managers?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jul 22 2021 10:14am

xrppzi wrote:
Thu Jul 22 2021 8:43am
blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jul 21 2021 6:33pm
Morrisons removed the trolley cleaning stations a few weeks back.
A sweeping statement that is obviously not true as our Morrisons still has all cleaning stations available. Could be down to individual managers?
I am pleased your store has not changed. As you say it could be the managers who chose. But IMHO the head office should say keep them.

10 miles away Gt Yarmouth has seen a huge surge in cases. Some small villages just to the north of the town are setting up emergency testing stations as so many have covid. And they say it is not the visitors but the locals who are testing positive. The local hospital has recorded its first covid death for a while. Surely not the time to let our guards down here

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jul 23 2021 12:02pm

I've visited two branches of Sainsbury's now. They've actually removed screens from the self-checkout areas, but kept them at staffed checkouts. In one store the mass of unused screens were still on site, crammed into an area between the escalators and the window... perhaps ready & waiting to be deployed again at short notice!

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jul 23 2021 12:24pm

In my part of Portugal there are no Covid cases, yet most people wear masks in the street, let alone when entering a shop. If you try to enter any enclosed premises maskless, you are quickly challenged.... The same is true of the Algarve, where you cannot enter a restaurant at the weekend without either showing a vaccination certificate or taking a test.... even so, in the "hotspots", Restaurants were closing at 1530.....

The Portuguese government imposes drastic conditions on hotspots, with minimal notice. It's how they manage to control outbreaks and confine them mostly to Lisbon and areas further north.

This might come as a nasty surprise to any Brits thinking of a quick holiday!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jul 24 2021 11:12am

Nasty surprise that could save them from catching covid

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Jul 24 2021 5:17pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri Jul 23 2021 12:02pm
I've visited two branches of Sainsbury's now. They've actually removed screens from the self-checkout areas, but kept them at staffed checkouts. In one store the mass of unused screens were still on site, crammed into an area between the escalators and the window... perhaps ready & waiting to be deployed again at short notice!

I went to my local Sainsburys yesterday and 90% of staff were not wearing a mask .

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jul 24 2021 5:57pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Jul 24 2021 11:12am
Nasty surprise that could save them from catching covid
Oddly (or maybe not....) of cases reported in Faro, half were visitors.

Who'd have guessed? :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me