Remembering Kevin Harris

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Remembering Kevin Harris

Post by richard@imutual » Sat Sep 04 2021 8:28am

Some of you have already heard the incredibly sad news that our most active forum member Kevin Harris (aka kevinchess1) passed away recently. Kevin made an extraordinary contribution to this site since its launch in 2010 (and before that on Rpoints), including:

- Nearly 30,000 posts on the imutual forum
- Organising multiple competitions on a monthly basis
- Funding prizes out of his own pocket

But it wasn't just the quantity of his contributions; he had a delightful (and sometimes mischievous!) sense of humour and provided constant entertainment. Although we only knew him in a "virtual" sense, I think we got an idea of what a wonderful character he would have been in "real life".

A family member has provided me with the following words:
He was a deeply thoughtful man, with a wicked sense of humour. He valued everyone equally, regardless of their background or past. He was a keen chess player and prolific borrower of books from our local library. Perhaps this accounts for his eclectic knowledge!

Of course he is deeply missed by his family and a wide circle of friends, both in real life and in the virtual communities he contributed to.

Kevin would love any donation to be made to Simon on the Streets or other charity helping homeless people.
If you wish to donate to Simon on the Streets, the link is https://justgiving.com/fundraising/reme ... evinharris

It's possible that friends and family will view this thread, so perhaps some of you could use it to share your memories of Kevin

A huge Thank you from me, Kevin, for all the help and fun you provided. You will be sorely missed

expressman33

Re: Remembering Kevin Harris

Post by expressman33 » Sat Sep 04 2021 9:34am

RIP Kev , you will be greatly missed .
A friend I never met in person.
We sent him a Christmas card every year , addressed it to Kev and Idsis , we never did know his wifes real name.
Last edited by expressman33 on Sat Sep 04 2021 1:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh, aupt, rolka, stillwaters

rolka

Post by rolka » Sat Sep 04 2021 9:46am

Feels like we have lost a friend.
RIP Kev.

dannyluis

Post by dannyluis » Sat Sep 04 2021 10:22am

Imutual won't be the same without him. So sad. RIP Kev , thanks for the memories.

rjwh

Post by rjwh » Sat Sep 04 2021 10:28am

RIP Kev
Your contribution to this forum will be greatly missed.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 04 2021 10:36am

My favourite homeless charity is Emmaus which has a property about 15 or so miles from us. Why I love that one is because the people live together for as long as they need to be there. And they learn stuff that can lead to a job when they feel able to live on their own. There is an onsite shop and cafe but other skills are also learned on the site.

But Kev's family have chosen a favourite of their own so that is where my money will be sent.

And his family description fits exactly with the picture I had of him. The forum will not be the same without Kev and in future I will not be posting silly comments that some might find annoying. I posted them so Kev had more choice for his quiz questions. Sad to say most of the time when he did use a post of mine, I read the question, wondered and went on to another question. Someone answered it and I would think: "Doh! my post inspired that so I should have guessed immediately". Shows how clever Kev was in setting the questions.

Loved the quizzes etc but it was Kev's posts that I will miss the most. Donation made and only sorry I could not afford more.
Last edited by blythburgh on Sat Sep 04 2021 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Sep 04 2021 10:51am

Farewell Kevin.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 04 2021 10:58am

Sarah wrote:
Sat Sep 04 2021 10:51am
Farewell Kevin.

The oddest thing is when I hear a voice on the radio and see the face it is not the face I think the voice belongs to. But with Kev the photo here and elsewhere are how I would expect Kev to look.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Sat Sep 04 2021 11:50am

The saddest of news and the forum will never be the same without his humour and insightful posts. Spent that homour and maybe I should not have corrected the spelling in his honour.

And when I asked the burger did you put both our names on the donation as it came from us she admitted she forgot. Sorry about that Kev but you know what the burger is like.

On Wednesday our elderly and much loved neighbour died, we could not wish her to live as her quality of life was so very low in the last weeks especially. But then it is someone relatively young and full of life to be lived it comes as very hard. I Dad died suddenly from a blood clot moving, my Mum slowly in hospital from pneumonia. The latter was the hardest to take. So if he had to die I am glad Kev did not suffer. RIP my special online friend

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Sep 04 2021 3:57pm

dannyluis wrote:
Sat Sep 04 2021 10:22am
Imutual won't be the same without him. So sad. RIP Kev , thanks for the memories.
Sums it up very well
Thanked by: aupt, rolka, blythburgh, stillwaters