Quote of the day

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: Quote of the day

Post by macliam » Wed Jul 27 2022 10:34pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Wed Jul 27 2022 8:13pm
“As a government-in-waiting, any breach of collective responsibility is taken extremely seriously and for these reasons Sam Tarry has been removed from the front bench.”

Labour announces the sacking of its shadow transport minister, who defied Kier Starmer to join striking rail workers on a picket line this morning

Apparantly, more to do with talking to the press without permission than being on a picket line.
Possibly for open defiance of Starmer's orders that nobody from the shadow cabinet should go on the picket line. Imagine the field-day the Torty press would have if Starmer did nothing about it......
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jul 27 2022 10:49pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Jul 27 2022 10:34pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Wed Jul 27 2022 8:13pm
“As a government-in-waiting, any breach of collective responsibility is taken extremely seriously and for these reasons Sam Tarry has been removed from the front bench.

Labour announces the sacking of its shadow transport minister, who defied Kier Starmer to join striking rail workers on a picket line this morning

Apparantly, more to do with talking to the press without permission than being on a picket line.
Possibly for open defiance of Starmer's orders that nobody from the shadow cabinet should go on the picket line. Imagine the field-day the Torty press would have if Starmer did nothing about it......
I think that is the likely reason, although it is not being given as the reason. The official reason is “been fired for making unauthorised media appearances.”

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Aug 05 2022 5:38pm

Quote of the day
“Pelosi insists on sneaking away from Taiwan, seriously interferes in China’s internal affairs… and seriously threatens peace and stability in the Taiwan strait.”
China’s government announces sanctions against the US House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, for “vicious and provocative actions” in going to Taiwan

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Aug 10 2022 6:59pm

“If we had a volcano in the UK that was exploding right now, I would be very surprised if government said it can’t call a Cobra meeting.”
Money saving expert Martin Lewis urges the “zombie government” to take urgent action on the “cataclysmic” rise in the cost of living

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Aug 25 2022 6:46pm

Quote of the day
“Absolutely not.”
Rishi Sunak denies that he will leave politics if he fails to win the Conservative leadership contest

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 09 2022 6:36pm

“She was more than a monarch. She defined an era.”
President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden pay tribute to the Queen. The pair first met the monarch in 1982 when they travelled to the UK as part of a Senate delegation.
Thanked by: Chadwick

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Sep 09 2022 7:26pm

Emmanuel Macron wrote: To you, she was your Queen.
To us, she was The Queen.
To us all, she will be with all of us forever.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1568181528932356099

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Sep 19 2022 5:38pm

“Rarely has such a promise been so well kept. Few leaders receive the outpouring of love we have seen.”
Justin Welby, the archbishop of Canterbury, recalled the Queen’s promise on her 21st birthday to dedicate her life to service.
Thanked by: Chadwick

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Sep 20 2022 11:27am

Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury wrote:Those who serve will be loved and remembered longer than those who cling to power and privilege are long forgotten.
I thought that was a barbed comment, with a number of targets. Perhaps risky putting an arguably political comment into a funeral service, but done in a way that reflected well on the Queen rather than a direct criticism of others.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Sep 20 2022 11:42am

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Sep 20 2022 11:27am
Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury wrote:Those who serve will be loved and remembered longer than those who cling to power and privilege are long forgotten.
I thought that was a barbed comment, with a number of targets. Perhaps risky putting an arguably political comment into a funeral service, but done in a way that reflected well on the Queen rather than a direct criticism of others.
Barbed, but honest..... and, given the current UK situation, an apt warning.