Do women still exist?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Do women still exist?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 26 2023 5:22pm

Yes it is Sunday so not doing surveys etc and footie is on the telly so I am bored. End up reading rubbish on MSN.

Anyway I wondered if I was doing it wrong (not I am not) when I read people wipe themselves wrong according to a Doctor. Apparently we should always wipe from front to back which is bad news for people with vaginas.

Silly me thought that should have been "bad news for women".

Do not get me wrong I do feel sorry for anyone who is trans and if anyone on here or elsewhere said they would prefer to be known as they rather than he or she I would always adress them as such. But I am not a person with a vagina, I am a woman, just like many billions of other's, and we want to be known as such.

The thought police do not frighten me I have always treated people on and offline with respect and if anyone wants to cancel me feel free to do so. No skin off my nose if you are a fascist who objects to free speech
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Do women still exist?

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 26 2023 9:34pm

It seems "interesting" that homophobia was mainly concerned with the males and the females got off lightly, but with transphobia it appears to be the other way around.

The police used to raid public lavatories - but I suppose they haven't got the manpower these days.

Thinking about it, that would seem inappropriate anyway! Better to check the correct use of pronouns......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Feb 26 2023 10:03pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Feb 26 2023 9:34pm

The police used to raid public lavatories - but I suppose they haven't got the manpower these days.
That was in the days when homosexuality was illegal. Was widely condemned as entrapment and in later years was actually made illegal. The police operatives used were often picked especially and were widely known as the "pretty police" Nothing to do with manpower. Anyway considering the fact that most councils have closed their toilets because of funding cuts, it is doubtful there would be the toilets for the police to patrol.

People caught in public lavatories were usually charged with importuning for immoral purposes. I think but am not sure that those who were charged in those days can now get their convictions overturned in the same way that those discharged from the forces for homosexuality can as well.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 26 2023 10:38pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Sun Feb 26 2023 10:03pm
macliam wrote:
Sun Feb 26 2023 9:34pm

That was in the days when homosexuality was illegal. Was widely condemned as entrapment and in later years was actually made illegal. The police operatives used were often picked especially and were widely known as the "pretty police" Nothing to do with manpower. Anyway considering the fact that most councils have closed their toilets because of funding cuts, it is doubtful there would be the toilets for the police to patrol.

People caught in public lavatories were usually charged with importuning for immoral purposes. I think but am not sure that those who were charged in those days can now get their convictions overturned in the same way that those discharged from the forces for homosexuality can as well.
I'm aware of that, however it seemed "interesting" (hence my quotes) that both these issues seemed (in the media) to crystalize on the use of public conveniences...... :|

My comment regarding "manpower" was more a play on the use of the expression, not availability.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Feb 27 2023 6:47am

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Feb 26 2023 5:22pm
End up reading rubbish on MSN.
I thought you had more sense than that.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 27 2023 9:02am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Feb 27 2023 6:47am
blythburgh wrote:
End up reading rubbish on MSN.
I thought you had more sense than that.
As I said I was bored and unable to do surveys. And at times the rubbish can be amusing. Like the enormous number of people shocked to discover why the kitchen sink is always under the window. I had never questioned it but just assumed that it was in the best possible place. And the article proved me right. I think MSN picks up on a post somewhere online where the author has chosen a tweet or something and made out millions of us are thinking the same thing. Or they get a story about the horrors of bad weather heading our way from The Express. Why that paper pays idiots like Piers Morgan for his rubbish never ceases to amaze me
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 27 2023 9:08am

blythburgh wrote:
It's good advice for all people with vaginas, not just women.

Such transphobic talking points are the thin end of the wedge and being pushed hard by radicals and other extremists to further the ongoing removal of rights from trans people, both in America and here in the UK. They're a factor in discrimination and the rising number of attacks on all LGBTQI+ people, such as the recent murder of Brianna Ghey.
On 11 February 2023, Brianna Ghey, a 16-year-old British transgender girl from Birchwood in Warrington, Cheshire, England, was killed in Culcheth Linear Park in Culcheth, Warrington. Two accused teenagers, a boy and a girl both aged 15, are in police custody, having been charged with murder four days after the incident.
Her parents described her as "a larger-than-life character who would leave a lasting impression on all that met her". According to her friends, Ghey would often help younger trans girls safely and legally access hormone replacement therapy. They also said she had faced years of transphobic harassment and bullying before she was killed, including at school, a part of which was being repeatedly "gang beaten".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Brianna_Ghey

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 27 2023 9:18am

I can see your point, Sarah. But I do think that impressionable people especially the young are going to far down the pro trans route and this is causing a backlash.

I worry when young people at Univerisity, College or School can debate a subject but ban anyone who as an opinion the organisers do not agree with. I thought the whole idea of a debate was to hear all sides and then come to a considered decision as to which side of the argument you agree with. It will probably be the view you entered the room with but it could be that you leave thinking differently to when you arrived.

The murder of Brianna is especially tragic but too many LGBT+ people are still not being treated with the respect due to any human being.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 27 2023 10:39am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Feb 27 2023 9:18am
I worry when young people at Univerisity, College or School can debate a subject but ban anyone who as an opinion the organisers do not agree with.
How many times has that actually happened?

Is it a greater worry than sending trans girls and women to male prisons to be endlessly raped (e.g. Jasmine Rose Jones) or proposing to remove legal protections for trans people from the equality act?

In this high profile case the Bristol student attended the debate regardless. Many trans rights "debates" in the media and on social networks take place without any representation of trans people.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Feb 27 2023 5:48pm

blythburgh wrote:
Apparently we should always wipe from front to back which is bad news for people with vaginas.

Why would you want to exclude trans people? The advice is just as relevant.

blythburgh wrote:
Do not get me wrong I do feel sorry for anyone who is trans
Why do you feel sorry for them?

blythburgh wrote:
I am not a person with a vagina, I am a woman, just like many billions of other's, and we want to be known as such.
You are both. People can, will, and I'm sure do refer to you as a woman.
Thanked by: pabenny