Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Sarah

Re: This governments shenanigans

Post by Sarah » Sat Mar 18 2023 1:40am

Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 18 2023 10:52am

I am sick of the Govt waste of taxpayers money telling me they are giving so many ways to help us pay our energy bills. We get the money automatically so this is nothing more than a Tory Party commercial. If they have spare money they should be advertising the fact we need photo ID to vote in person at the next election in your area. But they are stealing the vote from the younger more left wing people who did not put their name on the electoral roll when they should have done. They rush to register at the last minute because they want to vote to get the Tories out.

But not to worry the older person who is more likely to vote Tory will almost certainly have photo id so why bother advertising the need for it
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 18 2023 11:42am

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Mar 18 2023 10:52am
I am sick of the Govt waste of taxpayers money telling me they are giving so many ways to help us pay our energy bills. We get the money automatically so this is nothing more than a Tory Party commercial. If they have spare money they should be advertising the fact we need photo ID to vote in person at the next election in your area. But they are stealing the vote from the younger more left wing people who did not put their name on the electoral roll when they should have done. They rush to register at the last minute because they want to vote to get the Tories out.

But not to worry the older person who is more likely to vote Tory will almost certainly have photo id so why bother advertising the need for it
Never voted conservative in my life. But I do get the local Conservative MP's weekly newsletter. Every week she pushes the fact that ID will be needed in future elections. The Local Council is Lib Dem they also push in the council newsletter that Voter ID will be needed at future elections. I accept that the average person will not get these. But it seems like common sense nowadays to carry some form of ID.

Despite what you say most people have some sort of ID. The question is do they carry it with them? IMO we should have a National ID card. Which should be carried by law. Or perhaps an implant which can be scanned like a dog or cat chip can be.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Mar 18 2023 5:31pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Mar 18 2023 11:42am

Despite what you say most people have some sort of ID. The question is do they carry it with them? IMO we should have a National ID card. Which should be carried by law. Or perhaps an implant which can be scanned like a dog or cat chip can be.
I have ID in the form of Birth Certificate , Debit/Credit cards , Council tax bills etc , BUT I have no PHOTO ID . As regards to an implant - NO THANKS

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 18 2023 5:51pm

expressman33 wrote:
Sat Mar 18 2023 5:31pm
Richard Frost wrote:

I have ID in the form of Birth Certificate , Debit/Credit cards , Council tax bills etc , BUT I have no PHOTO ID . As regards to an implant - NO THANKS
I have never ever thought of you as most people!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 20 2023 8:48am

Richard Frost wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Mar 18 2023 10:52am

Never voted conservative in my life. But I do get the local Conservative MP's weekly newsletter. Every week she pushes the fact that ID will be needed in future elections. The Local Council is Lib Dem they also push in the council newsletter that Voter ID will be needed at future elections. I accept that the average person will not get these. But it seems like common sense nowadays to carry some form of ID.

you can send as many newsletters and council newsletters but how many people bother to read them? TV and internet ads would be more effective but would cost money of course. But then again the whole point is the older population are far more likely to vote Tory and most of them are carrying a bus pass and a photo driving licence. So why push the message at younger more left leaning people who might get around to getting the right ID but would they remember to bring it to the pollling booth?

We have a Council election in May which will show how many people get turned away. But so many do not vote unless it is a General Election and the older person of any political colour are the ones most likely to vote this time
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Mar 20 2023 9:29am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Mar 20 2023 8:48am

We have a Council election in May which will show how many people get turned away. But so many do not vote unless it is a General Election and the older person of any political colour are the ones most likely to vote this time
As I understand there is currently no provision to record this statistic. So I doubt we will know unless individual councils decide otherwise.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 20 2023 7:31pm

I doubt any council will be keeping records. And a lot of polling stations locally do not have tellers to even record those facts for their own party

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Mar 23 2023 2:25pm

The Trussell Trust wrote:3% of families in the UK needed to use a food bank between April 2021 and March 2022.

This figure rose to 16% for households who were accessing Universal Credit.
https://twitter.com/TrussellTrust/statu ... 67649?s=20
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65050920

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Mar 24 2023 2:43pm