Bumping topics: what should the rule be?

Oggy

Re: Bumping topics: what should the rule be?

Post by Oggy » Wed Aug 29 2012 7:19pm

dorisisfurtheraway wrote:
Drahcir wrote:Perhaps create a separate forum for good causes!
Only if we can have a forum for bad causes as well.
https://www.conservatives.com/Donate.aspx
Thanks for that, I've just donated! :twisted:
Thanked by: Sarah, blythburgh, kevinchess1

badtothebone

Post by badtothebone » Wed Aug 29 2012 8:55pm

Could I have some clarification please?

In light of the Persimmon Homes Competition do we now post any competitions in the Other Stuff Forum and no longer in the Competitions Forum?

Also clarification please on the preferred forum to post Money Off Coupons would be appreciated since they seem to lunch between the Freebies Forum and Offers And Bargains.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Eurovisionfan

Post by Eurovisionfan » Thu Aug 30 2012 8:44am

All I can say is that I'm delighted that my post has caused so much fuss. Win win all round - Persimmons Homes (to which I'm not connected!!!) are constantly being quoted for all the right reasons, and there's a myriad of charities who stand to win a substantial amount of money - hopefully it'll be St Basils.

As some of you know, I try to use the correct etiquette on the forum, but I'm learning as I'm rather new to all this. I'm not sure that a ruling is needed, to be honest here - although people should be aware that bumping can lead them to missing a bargain which was bumped off due to silliness!

Oh, better not forget the reason I came onto the forum - almost forgot to post that there are 5 Gift Hulk coins for grabs if you put
2000000keys
into the fountain of youth.

But best do that on the correct bit!
Thanked by: Mel, blythburgh

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Post by richard@imutual » Thu Aug 30 2012 9:59am

squire wrote:I could have sworn (as you can see my Blog if you look around a bit, but I digress...) that we all voted and narrowly (and upsettingly for some) agreed no signatures with links, possibly no signatures at all.
No, we voted against external links but sigs with links to imutual posts (which themselves may contain external links) are allowed
badtothebone wrote:Could I have some clarification please?

In light of the Persimmon Homes Competition do we now post any competitions in the Other Stuff Forum and no longer in the Competitions Forum?
I took the view that people expect the Competitions forum to have opportunities for them to win something, where as this was an appeal to help a good cause get something. Perhaps, if we get more of these, we should have a separate 'good causes' forum :?
badtothebone wrote:Also clarification please on the preferred forum to post Money Off Coupons would be appreciated since they seem to lunch between the Freebies Forum and Offers And Bargains.
If the 'money off' code still involves someone having to spend money (albeit at a discount) then I'd say "Offers & Bargains". But if the coupon entitles them to something completely free, then "Freebies"
Thanked by: Squire

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Aug 30 2012 10:50am

I would say only bump a topic that is over 1 month since the last post

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Post by richard@imutual » Thu Aug 30 2012 11:00am

As aside, if someone's posting habits (e.g. bumping) annoy you but fall short of breaking the forum rules, you always have the option to ignore them by making them a "foe". Foes are members which will be "ignored" by default when you view the forum i.e. posts by these members will not be fully visible.
Thanked by: Squire, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 31 2012 8:09pm

I see nothing wrong with bumping a thread unless the person doing the bumping has something to gain.

If person A finds a freebie and a month later person B finds it then where is the harm in person B going to the original thread and posting "offer still on".

Who knows it might well be seen by someone who wants the freebie but missed the original post.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

badtothebone

Post by badtothebone » Sat Sep 01 2012 11:17am

Yawn, I would of thought the fundamental point is to only bump you own post.

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Sep 04 2012 8:47pm

I would have thought the best solution is to have no rules.
Have a massive free-for-all.
Then leave it to a high-and-mighty moderator to warn and ban a few people, create a bit of tension and animosity.
THAT'S what forums thrive on and why people keep coming back. Remember the good old days? :mrgreen:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, Mel, adamred6