Vulgar riches/Good on him ?

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
blythburgh

Re: Vulgar riches/Good on him ?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Feb 11 2017 8:46am

macliam wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
macliam wrote:Sorry, substitute footballer by any "celebrity" and I would say the same - we do not need new aristos saying "let them eat cake".
I would not lump talented footballers with celebrities. To me a celebrity is someone only famous for being on a reality show and getting a really good agent. Being prepared to do or say anything to get in the media spotlight is also something that marks out the successful celebs.
- so, are footballers more talented or dedicated or have a shorter career than Olympians or other sportsmen who don't earn mega-millions? No they aren't, so they are just celebrities, paid what they are because the market has been steered that way.

I don't forget Ronaldo at Manchester writing off his £200k Ferrari just two days after importing it - but then, he had a Bentley Continental, a Porsche 911 and a few other cars to fall back on. (Note - they weren't bought for his family....)
Top athletes in many sports earn mega amounts. Only a few admittedly but at least like the small number of footballers who get mega amounts.

But at least these people have genuine talent and work hard to get to and stay at the top. Others get stupid amounts of money because they appear on something like Big Brother and then spend the rest of their lives earning eye watering amounts of money each year by promoting themselves. They have no real talent just a good agent.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Feb 11 2017 8:47am

And what about the CEO's of the top companies. Talented, not a lot of people could do their job but are they really worth what they are paid?

I doubt it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Feb 11 2017 3:02pm

Where would we be without them?

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 11 2017 3:26pm

Boro Boy wrote:Where would we be without them?
Now, that's the REAL project fear!

Like the bankers - "If we don't pay them silly amounts they'll go somewhere else"........ but only because the world has bought into the lie that ALL CEOs and other execs make a real difference. For sure, some might - but all of them..... even the ones who fail abysmally?

Equally, there may be some athletes who deserve high payouts - perhaps those good enough to play for their country - but others don't ........ and even those who don't get the headline figures make money enough in their short career to set them up for life - if they had the brains and/or the discipline to look after it. But instead, it's easy money, so they blow it on all the ephemeral luxuries.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 12 2017 5:32pm

Having just watched the bruising encounter between France and Scotland in the Six Nations competition, I think the skill and atheticism of the modern Rugby Union player is at least equal to Soccer players - and I'd argue that they put their bodies on the line even more.

So, I thought I'd look up how much the players earn - and it seems the average player in the Rugby Premiership earns £70k a year. When NZ star Dan Carter signed a 3 year deal with French club Racing Metro, his £1.4m a year made him the highest paid player in the history of Rugby.

The average wage of a Premier League player is some £44,000-a-week – or £2.29m a year.

Now, try again to justify their pay....... :roll:
Last edited by macliam on Mon Feb 13 2017 11:58am, edited 2 times in total.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Feb 13 2017 8:46am

Boro Boy wrote:3. Can't make a comment because I will be hounded by the more aggressive members so I will say nothing! :crazy:
:geek: haha.. some very silly comments made, often by people that don't fully understand their own points, but never any need to feel hounded :mrgreen:. it is silly of Boateng to have done that, and also to publicise it.. at the same time, i don't begrudge footballers buying range rovers and bentleys. at our club they have to save up for them :clap:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Feb 15 2017 2:29am

planteria wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:3. Can't make a comment because I will be hounded by the more aggressive members so I will say nothing! :crazy:
:geek: haha.. some very silly comments made, often by people that don't fully understand their own points, but never any need to feel hounded :mrgreen:. it is silly of Boateng to have done that, and also to publicise it.. at the same time, i don't begrudge footballers buying range rovers and bentleys. at our club they have to save up for them :clap:
and what club is that?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 16 2017 12:32pm

Rooney's £500,000 in a couple of hours - throw it this way Wayne!!!! :thumbup:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 16 2017 10:52pm

Boro Boy wrote:Rooney's £500,000 in a couple of hours - throw it this way Wayne!!!! :thumbup:
I guess its his money and he can do what he likes with it but I surely thought there would have been more comment on here than there has been...!!! :shh:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed May 17 2017 7:49am

If he did lose that amount then he like other footballers and members of the public have a serious problem.

Of course Rooney can afford to lose that amount of money but far too many people are losing money they cannot afford to lose.

And we still get bombarded by gambling ads especially when the football etc is on the TV. So easy to click on the phone and spend money that is needed for day to day living.

And the Govt does nothing about those evil machines in betting shops where you can lose hundreds of pounds in a few minutes.